‘Sun’ loses bid to appeal Walsh’s right to documents

The Sun has been refused a High Court stay allowing it to challenge a judgment granting Louis Walsh discovery of documents in his defamation claim against the newspaper.

Mr Walsh was told on Friday he was entitled to documents relating to The Sun’s investigation into a Garda probe over an alleged sex attack by him on a man in a nightclub toilet. The claim proved unfounded.

Mr Justice Iarfhlaith O’Neill said yesterday he would not allow Newsgroup Newspapers Ltd a stay because the matter had dragged on too long.

Declan Doyle, SC, counsel for Mr Walsh, told the court that Newsgroup Newspapers obstructed him every step of the way since the article was published in The Sun in June last year.

The application for a stay had been made by James McGowan, counsel for the defendants. He said the defendants would like to have further consultation with senior counsel, who was on holiday.

Judge O’Neill said he was not going to grant a stay. The matter had dragged on too long, he said.

The judge had ruled that Walsh was entitled to all documents associated with the paper’s crime writer Joanne McElgunn’s investigation into allegations concerning Walsh and Leonard Watters, who was later convicted of inventing the sex assault claim.

He directed that the paper provide all documents identifying or referring to any payments made or offered by the newspaper to Watters and statements of any of McElgunn’s expenses attached to the story.

More in this section