Hundreds flock to wake of gas victim

HUNDREDS of people yesterday visited the home of Kinsale tragedy victim, Miriam Reidy in Ballyhahill, Co Limerick, where she lay in repose.

The funeral Mass will take place at 1pm tomorrow at the Church of the Visitation in Ballyhahill which will be followed by buried at Kilfergus cemetery in Glin.

Her family yesterday issued the following statement: “The Reidy family and her sweetheart Pio Boyle would like to express their deep sorrow and devastation at the loss of their beloved Miriam.

“She was a wonderful daughter, a thoughtful and kind sister and friend, the love of Pio’s life, a cherished sister-in-law and a very special auntie and godmother to Donnchadh and Thomas.

“She will be sadly missed but fondly remembered by her many friends and relations who shared her life and by her work colleagues in AIB bank.”

Meanwhile, frantic householders have bought so many carbon monoxide detectors that many retail outlets across the country have run out of stock.

Thousands of worried customers have rushed to equip their houses with the life-saving measures since Miriam Reidy, 35, died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in a Kinsale hotel room last Sunday.

Hardware store Bandon Co-Op, which has three retail outlets in Co Cork, sold more of the plug-in appliances in one day than it did in the whole of last year.

And demand from customers is so high that the store’s purchase manager said he has a waiting list, including many from Kinsale, ahead of a new supply of stock arriving from Britain next Tuesday.

Michael O’Driscoll, purchaser for the three outlets in Kinsale, Bandon and Enniskeane, said yesterday: “We’ve completely sold out of carbon monoxide detectors and are struggling to keep up with demand.

“We’ve sold 60 units since last Monday and on one day we sold more than we did in the whole of last year. Normally in a year we wouldn’t sell more than two dozen, but sales have gone through the roof since the news broke about the Trident hotel tragedy.

“We’ve no detectors left in stock at the moment, but we have 200 units arriving from Britain on Tuesday.

“We’ve a detector waiting list of 50 people.”

The plug-in units range in price from €29 to €69.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas that binds to red blood cells, preventing oxygen from absorbing correctly into the body.

As many as 40 people die in Ireland each year from carbon monoxide poisoning, with half of those deaths resulting from gas inhaled from open fires.

Mr O’Driscoll added: “It’s extremely important that people get a detector. Carbon monoxide is a silent killer and will come on you when you least expect it.”

A huge increase in sales have also been reported in other outlets across the country.

More in this section