Up to 8 women turned away from refuge each day

THERE is concern that as many as eight women seeking refuge from domestic violence every day are being turned away because there is no room for them.

Safe Ireland, representing frontline domestic violence services, said cuts in funding meant a safe place could not be provided for everyone that needed it.

The organisation revealed a staggering 43% increase in the number of women seeking support from domestic violence services in the last two years.

A one-day count in November 2009 found that six women could not be accommodated in a refuge because there was not enough space.

Safe Ireland chairwoman Jacinta Carney described the increase in the demand for domestic violence services as disturbing and unprecedented.

“So from 2010 onwards those six women who were turned away from refuge in just one day will be eight women. And that’s for every single day,” she said when the figures were published yesterday.

“If we don’t have the funding to work at the frontline of tackling domestic violence and supporting the victims of this debasing crime, the impact on society will widen; the social problems will become increasingly insurmountable,” she warned.

More than 7,400 women received support from a domestic violence service in 2009, compared with 5,195 in 2007. Last year’s figure represents a 21% increase on the 2008 figure of 6,111.

Safe Ireland director Sharon O’Halloran said women experiencing domestic violence in Ireland run a high risk of being caught in the trap of recession, poverty, lack of options and homelessness.

“We are seeing an unprecedented increase in the number of women coming to us at a time when vital funding and support provision is being cut down. We are seriously gambling with women and children’s safety,” she warned.

The one-day count showed that 182 women and 247 children were in refuge or transitional housing on that day.

Ms O’Halloran said women and children were homeless that day because they were not safe in their own homes: “This is an astounding number of people needing space in which to live. And this is only one day’s fall out from the horrific crime that is domestic violence.”

The figures show that on November 4, 2009:

* 368 women were accommodated and/or received support from a domestic violence service.

* 291 children were accommodated and/or received support.

* 184 helpline calls were received from women.

* 11 women and 16 children were admitted to refuges.

* 6 women could not be accommodated in a refuge because there was not enough space.

Year on year:

* 7,400 women received support from a domestic violence service in 2009.

* 6,111 in 2008.

n5,995 in 2007.

“This violence reflects on our society and we all have a role to play in creating safer societies that value our right to live without violence in our day-to-day lives,” Ms O’Halloran said.

Environment Minister John Gormley said total funding for all homelessness accommodation and related services was increased by 5% to €62 million in 2009 and this level of funding was being maintained this year.

“For me, protecting the homelessness budget will continue to be an absolute priority,” he said.

More in this section

Lunchtime News

Newsletter

Get a lunch briefing straight to your inbox at noon daily. Also be the first to know with our occasional Breaking News emails.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited