Judges of the city’s Better Buildings Awards chose the 83-metre 17-storey Elysian tower, with 211 luxury apartments, set on three acres in the city centre, as the winner of their Judge’s Choice Award.
Developer Michael O’Flynn described it as “a new quality landmark building which will define the Cork skyline for years to come”.
“It sends out a confident positive message about Cork, its people and its future,” he said.
The other top award winner in the new Peoples’ Choice Award category is the Crawford Art Gallery.
The awards will be presented at a function today in the Imperial Hotel, Cork.
27 buildings, ranging from shops to heritage buildings, won awards across nine categories.
Organised by the Cork Marketing Partnership, the awards aim to raise awareness of good design, maintenance, conservation and preservation of Cork buildings that will maintain and enhance the city’s visual appeal.
Other notable winners include the Market Lane restaurant on Oliver Plunkett Street, winner of the café/restaurant category; Blackrock Castle Observatory, which won the heritage and conservation project category; and Fitzgerald’s Menswear on St Patrick’s Street which won the retail building category.
Liz McAvoy, of the Cork Marketing Partnership, said the level of interest and the high calibre of entries in this year’s awards showed just how important the built environment is to the city.
* 1. The Drapery Shop, Emmet Place and Fitzgerald Menswear, Patrick Street.
* 2. Keane’s Jewellers, Oliver Plunkett Street.
* 3. Interior Living, MacCurtain Street.
* 1. The Mardyke, Sheare’s Street.
* 2. The Pavillion Bar, Carey’s Lane.
* 3. Le Chateau, Patrick Street.
* 1. Market Lane, Oliver Plunkett Street.
* 2. Café Gusto, The Boardwalk.
* 3. Scoozis, Winthrop Avenue.
* 1. Linehan Design, Grattan Street.
* 2. The Edge, Emmet Place.
* 3. TL Egan, Lavitt’s Quay.
* 1. Beamish & Crawford.
* 2. Cork City Hall Extension, Anglesea Street.
* 3. The Exchange Building, Georges Quay.
* 1. Bus Éireann, Parnell Place.
* 2. Cork Vision Centre, North Main Street and GPO Post Office, Oliver Plunkett Street.
* 3. Lewis Glucksman Gallery, UCC, Capella Golf Clubhouse, Castlemartyr and Lifetime Lab, Lee Road
* 1. Blackrock Castle Observatory.
* 2. St Joachim & Annes (windows), Anglesea Street.
* 3. 16 Lavitt’s Quay.
* Maldron Hotel Cork at Shandon.