The Department of the Environment issued a warning to homeowners to be vigilant with electrical goods and candle products, while fire officers also advised families to be alert to the dangers.
Tesco Ireland issued a notice recalling several types of Christmas lights the company warned could cause an electric shock because of a manufacturing fault.
Around 4,000 units of the lights were sold in Ireland. The company said the recall was purely precautionary and was issued after an alert by the manufacturer.
Elsewhere, department store Heatons called back Christmas-style candle holders through national newspaper advertisements.
“We have found that there might be a slight risk of fire when candles are illuminated within these products,” read the warning. The fireplace items and lantern products can be returned to stores for a full refund.
The Department of Environment also warned that smoke alarms save lives, yet more than 320,000, or 20% of all homes in Ireland, still have no alarm.
Chairman of the Chief Fire Officers Association Jim Dunphy noted an increase in candle-related fires.
“This time of the year, people are more relaxed. Unfortunately though, they can experience family tragedies. There’s a lot more flammable material around, candles have become ever more popular, as have related fires.
“Don’t leave them burning unattended. They need to be mounted and not left on televisions or near beds. People need to be vigilant and watch that naked flame. Also take all plugs out, especially Christmas tree lights.”
Families using artificial trees should check if they have been treated to increase fire-resistance, he said.
Real trees should be disposed of properly and parts of them should never be burned in fireplaces.
Homeowners should also beware of overloading sockets or using inappropriate extension leads or adaptors, according to fire prevention experts.