Householders warned as man, 71, dies while burning rubbish

HOUSEHOLDERS were last night warned against burning rubbish outdoors after a pensioner died in a horrific accident.

Thomas Clarke, 71, died when his clothes caught fire as he burned waste at the back of his home in Navan, Co Meath.

The fire, which happened on Monday afternoon, spread quickly because of the dry conditions.

His brother Michael, who was in a wheelchair, was unable to rescue the victim from the fire.

Yesterday, fire safety chiefs advised the public against burning rubbish, particularly in the current dry weather and said they should instead dispose of their waste properly.

The victim was a founder member of the Simonstown Gaels GFC Club.

In a statement, the club said: “It was with shock and sadness that members of

Simonstown Gaels learned of the untimely passing of Tommy Clarke in a fire accident at the family home in Simonstown.

“The Clarke family is synonymous with the establishment of the club in 1965 and indeed our first home was a field belonging to the Clarke family.”

The removal takes place from the family home today at 6.15pm to St Oliver’s Church where the funeral mass will take place at 11am tomorrow.

More in this section

IE_180_logo
Price info

Subscribe to unlock unlimited digital access.
Cancel anytime.

Terms and conditions apply

Puzzles logo
IE-logo

Puzzles hub

Visit our brain gym where you will find simple and cryptic crosswords, sudoku puzzles and much more. Updated at midnight every day. PS ... We would love to hear your feedback on the section right HERE.

Puzzles logo
IE-logo

Puzzles hub

Visit our brain gym where you will find simple and cryptic crosswords, sudoku puzzles and much more. Updated at midnight every day. PS ... We would love to hear your feedback on the section right HERE.