We're sure Matthew Picca had a clear idea of how his romantic proposal to girlfriend Kayla Harrity would go.
They were on holiday in Southport, North Carolina and Matthew made a plan to surprise her with a proposal on the dock in front of their two families.
"I turned around and he was getting down on one knee," Kayla told WETV.
"As he opened the ring box, the ring fell out of the box and fell through the cracks on the deck and into the water. I didn't even get to see it before it dropped."
As you can imagine, the onlooking assembled families and patrons of the local bar were horrified.
"I covered my face and began to cry because I knew my boyfriend was devastated," Kayla said. "Matthew did not even get to say anything to me before the ring fell into the ocean."
"We all kind of stood in shock for a minute and then a few people were saying, 'The water's not that deep, go look for it,' " Picca told Fox 46.
So Matthew, Kayla, her brother-in-law and sister, and some locals jumped in with flashlights and goggles and began the search.
And if things couldn't get worse, Kayla's sister used Matthew's phone as a torch underwater as she thought it had a waterproof case. It did not.
After about an hour and a half, a man called Kyle Blusher spotted the ring and fished it out.
"Everyone at the bar was cheering. All of a sudden, everyone was chanting 'Propose again! Do it again!'," Kayla said. "It was the best feeling in the world. My fiancé, soaking wet, smelling like salty, fishing water, proceeded to get down on one knee and put the beautiful ring on my finger!"
"The energy of everyone at the bar was incredible. It was a total shock that he even found the ring," she continued.
"We walked upstairs and bought the men who helped us a round of shots. They were amazing and we are so grateful to have their help that night."
The couple then went on a romantic carriage-ride around the town.
"When we got back, people were still coming up asking to see the ring," Kayla said. "They said everyone in Southport was talking about it. It was definitely a night to remember!"