Bruce Forsyth will miss ‘Strictly Come Dancing’ tomorrow for the first time ever.
The legendary host has flu and is not well enough to present the BBC ballroom dancing show, prompting the BBC to look for a last-minute replacement.
The 81-year-old presenter is at his home in Surrey, with his wife Wilnelia caring for him. This is the first time in five series’ of ‘Strictly’ Bruce has had to skip filming.
A BBC source said: “Bruce has got the flu and will miss the show on doctor's orders.”
This week has seen speculation Bruce will soon step down from presenting ‘Strictly’ to make way for Vernon Kaye – whose wife Tess Daly is already co-presenter of the show.
Radio and ‘Family Fortunes’ host Vernon played down the rumours, however, saying he’d rather compete on the show.
The six foot four tall presenter said: “I don’t think the job’s going, but it’s nice to get a mention. I’d actually be up for dancing on the show, but I don’t think there’s anyone tall enough to be my dance partner.”
Bruce has recently revealed he finds working on ‘Strictly’ tires him out so much he stays in bed on Sundays after the show.
He said: “I can’t stay asleep because the adrenalin of doing a live show is still pumping round my body.
“Last Sunday I got up at 6am, watched television until about 9.30am then went back to bed.
“I got up for lunch, then went back to bed and watched football and golf on TV. In the evening, I got up again for an hour, then it was back to bed for a normal night’s sleep.”
Bosses of the show have also denied there are any plans to axe Bruce as presenter.
A source said earlier this week: "Brucie is a legend and if he leaves it will be because he wants to. It's up to him."
It is not presently known who will stand in for Bruce on Tomorrow’s show.