David Beckham was expected back in training today after a short break in the French Alps with his family amid a storm of allegations over his private life.
The England captain flew to the ski resort of Courchevel on Monday to be with wife Victoria and their children Brooklyn and Romeo, after claims that he had an affair with Rebecca Loos were published in a newspaper.
The millionaire Real Madrid midfielder has dismissed claims he had a fling with 26-year-old Ms Loos, who was his personal assistant in Madrid last year.
And over the last few days, the Beckhams were pictured in a public display of togetherness, cuddling and laughing as Victoria reportedly vowed her marriage would survive saying: “We have been through a lot worse than this.”
More photographs in today’s newspapers show the family looking happy and relaxed on the slopes. The Mirror newspaper’s front page shows the couple kissing as their son Brooklyn looks on.
While Beckham flew back to Spain yesterday, Victoria, her sons, and members of her family were expected to stay on holiday for the rest of the week although it was not clear if they will remain in Courchevel.
However, the Daily Mirror reported that Victoria was expected to join her husband in Madrid in the next few days, when more allegations may emerge.
Beckham is alleged to have had an intimate relationship with Ms Loos, including sending explicit text messages.
He denied the claims in a statement issued on Sunday but there has been no indication from him of plans to take legal action.
Yesterday, an unnamed friend of Ms Loos claimed Beckham had sent explicit text messages to another woman, which had infuriated her.
The friend also told The Sun newspaper that Ms Loos, who has remained silent so far, planned to go public with her story.
Yesterday, an ex-boyfriend of Ms Loos insisted she would not have tried to trap him.
Nightclub DJ Kyle Browne, 21, spent five months with her in London and said it was not in her nature to be conniving.
He said she was a “fun girl” who enjoyed the high life and would not have plotted to snare the England soccer captain.
South African-born Mr Browne, who lives in London, said if the allegations were true, his ex-lover would not have planned it.
Asked if he thought she might have tried to set Beckham up, he said: “The Rebecca I knew? I don’t think so.”
Mr Browne, added: “She was a nice girl, a fun girl. She was emotional, very emotional. She would get upset, really upset, if you were not giving her the attention she wanted.
“She liked being successful.”
And Mr Browne said he expects his ex-girlfriend to reveal all, and soon.
“I have got a feeling she will give her story,” he said.
“She will want to put some things right that have been said. Things that are wrong about her. I wouldn’t be surprised if there isn’t something on Sunday. I would get a newspaper on Sunday.”
The story took another twist when former Wimbledon tennis champion Pat Cash reportedly said he may have slept with Ms Loos but he could not remember.
He told newspapers: “I’m 50% sure I did. I wish I could say it was me but I just can’t remember.”
However, the 28-year-old Beckham got some good news last night when he was given a special one-off award at the British Book Awards after his book, My Side, became the fastest-selling autobiography of all time.
The Real Madrid star sent a acceptance speech recorded in Spain last week - before the allegations about his private life – to the prizegiving ceremony at the Grosvenor House Hotel in central London.
My Side, ghostwritten by Tom Watt – who played EastEnders’ Lofty – shifted 103,000 copies in its first week and has sold more than one million copies so far.