Michael Jackson faced a war on two fronts today as he battled child sex allegations and a bid to have his three children taken into care.
A Los Angeles lawyer officially reported Jackson to the authorities saying she had “great concern” for the pop star’s children.
Gloria Allred, a long-time critic of Jackson, said: “If you see a child that’s at risk, you should report it and let the authorities do what they think is appropriate. That’s what I’ve done.”
Jackson, 45, has two children with former wife Debbie Rowe – Prince Michael, six, and daughter Paris, five.
He also has a baby named Prince Michael II, whose mother is unknown to the public.
Ms Allred said: “To the best of my knowledge, the children are still with Mr Jackson. And that is… of great concern.”
She told CNN she had reported the Thriller star to the Department of Child Welfare Services.
Ms Allred briefly represented a 13-year-old boy who filed a civil action against Jackson in 1993.
The new allegation of abuse is believed to come from a 12-year-old cancer sufferer.
Earlier yesterday Jackson broke his silence on the allegations against him, saying they were “a big lie”.
In a statement on a newly-created website he said he would prove himself innocent in court and put “this horrible time” behind him.
“To my fans, friends and family: As you know, the charges recently directed at me are terribly serious,” the statement said.
“They are, however, predicated on a big lie. This will be shown in court, and we will be able to put this horrible time behind us.”
Jackson, who was arrested last Thursday after a warrant was issued, said there was only so much he could say because of the legal proceedings
“There will be times when I cannot comment at all. No doubt, this will be frustrating for all of us.”
But he said: “We intend to try our case in the courtroom, not in the public or the media.
“You are right to be sceptical of some of the individuals who are being identified in the mass media as my friends, spokespeople, and attorneys.
“With few exceptions, most of them are simply filling a desperate void in our culture that equates visibility with insight.”
He ended he statement: “I thank you all for your support and understanding.”
Meanwhile, Dame Elizabeth Taylor said she believed Jackson would be cleared of the charges.
“I believe Michael is absolutely innocent and that he will be vindicated,” she said in a statement.
The 71-year-old friend of the pop star claimed the media had already found Jackson “guilty” of the accusations.
“I thought the law was innocent until proven guilty,” she said.
Jackson’s Neverland Ranch in California was searched by around 60 police officers last Tuesday.
He was charged on Thursday in Santa Barbara, California, with sexual abuse and freed on €2.6m bail.
On his release he flew by private jet back to Las Vegas where is shooting a music video.
He is due in court on January 9.