AFTER endless backstage chat about ‘no make-up make-up’ minimalism, it was refreshing to see the most talked-about beauty look of the spring/summer shows was actually the bold, colourful, and completely mesmerising hair and make-up at Diane von Furstenberg.
Inspired by the 69-year-old designer’s own style in the 1970s, it combined a tropical ombre eye, dewy skin, perfectly pink lips, and voluminous curls to ravishing effect.
Pick your favourite part, or go all-out mermaid — here’s how to transform yourself into a tropical beach babe...
BLUE EYED GIRL
The aquamarine ombre eye at Diane von Furstenberg (below) was created with a wash of turquoise cream shadow above and below the eye, followed by a dense slick of blue eyeliner, blended out and finished with lashings of mascara.
Over at Alexis Mabille in Paris, a brighter version of the aquatic eye was created by applying a cream cyan shadow over the whole eyelid and bright yellow above the socket.
The two shades were then smudged together, resulting in a chartreuse mix where they met in the middle.
* Tom Ford Cream Colour for Eyes in Siren Blue, €55 ( www.brownthomas.com )
* BareMinerals Lash Domination Volumizing Mascara, €23 ( www.debenhams.ie )
* MAC Modern Twist Pro longwear liner in Ocean Liner, €21 ( www.brownthomas.com )
* MAC Pro longwear waterproof colour stick in Madly Sunny, €21 ( www.brownthomas.com )
GET YOUR GLOW ON
It’s all about a dewy, almost moist, complexion with this look — think sea spray and humid Pacific Islands.
BareMinerals Complexion Rescue, with its light-reflecting, gel-cream formula, provides the ideal finish.
With six new shades just added, there are 16 hues, from ‘vanilla’ to ‘sienna’, to choose from, so everyone can find their perfect match.
Amp up your tropical glow with a touch of pearlescent highlighter on cheekbones, and finish with a faint dab of pink cream blusher on the apples of your cheeks.
* BareMinerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream, €31 ( www.debenhams.ie )
* Estee Lauder Genuine Glow Eyelighting Creme for Eyes and Face, €19 ( www.debenhams.ie )
* Bobbi Brown Limited Edition Sheer Colour Cheek Tint in Telluride, €26 ( www.brownthomas.com )
GO AU NATUREL
With a bold, blue-green eye taking centre stage, lips need only be enhanced a touch — a slick of balm will do.
For something a little more ‘done’, try a moisturising gloss to condition and add shine, or a tinted liquid that’s no more than one shade darker or lighter than your natural lip colour.
* Maybelline Baby Lips Moisturising Lip Gloss in Life’s A Peach, €6.99 ( www.boots.ie )
* Bobbi Brown Limited Edition Tube Tint in Naked, €26 ( www.brownthomas.com )
DIVE INTO WAVES
“This look is really all about Diane,” explains hair stylist Orlando Pita.
“In the ‘70s, it was the first time she’d let her hair fall in its natural wave, and I just loved the texture and volume.”
To create the look, start with a deep side part.
Pita says: “Layer TRESemme Make Waves Sculpt & Define Spray Gel, then TRESemme Make Waves Shape & Memorise Cream, onto a two-inch wide section of hair, twist and secure in a bun with a hairpin.
“Start with one row of buns at the base of the neck and then create a second row around the crown and forehead until all hair is secured.
"Use a hair dryer to dry each twisted bun, or leave to air dry. When dry, unravel each bun, pulling apart the hair twists as you unravel.
"Use a soft bristle brush to brush out the waves, and lightly tease the front section to create soft volume.
“Finish by tucking your hair behind one ear and spritzing with flexible hold hairspray — add a floral hair clip, for the ultimate Hawaiian babe finish.”
* Tresemme Make Waves Shape & Memorise Cream, €7.99 ( www.boots.ie )
* Tresemme Makes Waves Sculpt & Define Spray Gel, €7.99 ( www.boots.ie )