IS the excitement of digging out your favourite summer sandals, or premiering your new purchases tempered by the fear of going tights-free after months of sun deprivation?
Here are the tools and techniques that will transform your legs from winter-ravaged to summer-ready in no time...
BEST FEET FORWARD
If your soles are suffering a build-up of dry skin, an electronic file is the fastest way to buff them back to life.
“Immerse feet in warm water to help soften the skin,” advise nail experts Ange and Vernice Walker.
“Next, use the Scholl Velvet Smooth Wet & Dry Foot File while your feet are in the water, or take one foot out at a time, and use the device on the heels and balls to exfoliate dry skin. Remember to keep the device moving.”
If you’re heading straight out, finish with a generous slather of moisturiser, such as the Conditioning Foot Cream For Happy Feet from Margaret Dabbs’ new collaboration with M&S.
* Scholl Velvet Smooth Wet & Dry Foot File, currently reduced to €39.49 from €49.99 ( www.boots.ie )
* Bare Feet by Margaret Dabbs Conditioning Foot Cream For Happy Feet, €10 (in store June 16; www.marksandspencer.ie )
HAIR TODAY, GONE TOMORROW
Home hair removal may seem like a bit of a faff compared to a salon visit, but it’s actually really easy, especially on legs and, once you’ve mastered it (and realised how much money you can save), you’ll never go back.
New Veet Professional Warm Stripless Wax takes just one minute to melt in the microwave and comes with a smart spatula that tells you when it’s at the perfect temperature.
“Apply hot wax against hair growth, ensuring that you cannot see the skin through it and always add slightly more wax to the end you are pulling off to create a tab effect that is easier to grip,” says hair removal guru Arezoo Kaviani.
“Ensure you pull the skin taught as you remove the wax — the quicker you pull, the better your results will be.”
For top-ups or taking away on hols, wax strips are good quick-fix when there isn’t a microwave handy.
* Veet Professional Warm Stripless Wax, €20.99 ( www.boots.ie )
* Parissa Wax Strips Face & Bikini, €12.49 ( www.boots.ie )
SAY NO TO MICRO
For years, we were told microbeads were essential for sloughing away dead skin, but it’s now been established they’re really bad news for our oceans and their wildlife.
So, for your pre-summer exfoliation, choose a scrub that uses natural ingredients, like sugar, salt or ground nut shells, which are just as effective but kind to the environment too.
* Lush Buffy Body Butter, €9.50 ( www.lush.com )
* Melvita L’Or Rose Refining Scrub, €21.94 (£15) www.uk.melvita.com plus p&p)
* Goldfaden MD Doctor’s Scrub, €80 ( www.spacenk.com )
USE A FIRM HAND
Following a thorough scrub session, a sculpting serum will help target those areas that could do with a bit of toning.
Using clever ingredients, like ginseng, algae and plant oils, these creams help firm and hydrate.
Massage in using circular motions, to boost circulation and maximise their effectiveness.
* This Works Perfect Legs Sculpt & Shine, €30 reduced from €39 ( www.thisworks.com free p&p)
* Soap & Glory Ab Fab Skin Toning Tummy Serum, €18 ( www.boots.ie )
* Transformulas ArmLift, €48.77 ( www.feelunique.com free p&p)
HOW GLOW CAN YOU GO?
For the finishing touch, add a hint of sunkissed glow, without going full fake-tan.
They may look dark in the bottle, but bronzing body oils use pigment and finely milled golden particles suspended in oil, so they spread easily and aren’t at all streaky.
If you don’t want any colour, a shimmering body lotion will take legs from pasty to healthy in an instant.
* Rosie for Autograph Summer Rose Shimmer Body Oil, €20 ( www.marksandspencer.ie )
* Estee Lauder Modern Muse Le Rouge Shimmer Body Lotion, €46, ( www.boots.ie )