Yesterday, Councillor Noel Collins reported the incident to Cork County Council during a Southern Area Meeting, after asking them to investigate the possibility of flushing rat poison through the sewer system.
"The flooding resulted in another problem for residents, that of rat infestation, which really upset many families, mentally and physically, and indeed, one elderly gentleman suffered a rat bite to his posterior while using his toilet, and had to receive immediate medical attention," he said.
A plumber found a broken sewer pipe nearby, which is believed to have allowed the rat to enter the system.
The council warned that flushing rat poison through the public system could lead to contamination of other water sources, but said that Irish Water are responsible for vermin control within the system.
Cllr Collins added: "I would advise homeowners to keep their toilet seats down when not in use, and to watch their posteriors."
* This article first appeared in the Evening Echo.