Former Vodafone executive accused of €2m thefts

Additional charges have been brought against a former senior executive at Vodafone Ireland who is accused of stealing almost €2m from the company over four years.

Former Vodafone executive accused of €2m thefts

Yesterday, 13 counts of deception were put to Niall Barron, who had previously held the position of head of corporate financial services at the telecoms company. He was granted bail while prosecutors prepare evidence.

The 40-year-old, who has an address at Ard na Cuan in Wexford Town, had first appeared at Dublin District Court in July to face 42 charges under the Theft and Fraud Offences Act.

Detective Stephen Niland, of the Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation, had then said the accused made no reply to those charges.

It is alleged that those offences occurred at Vodafone’s HQ in Leopardstown in Co Dublin from 2003 until 2007.

Originally he faced one charge of attempted theft and two for attempted deception; the remaining counts were split between theft of various sums totalling €1,983,000 from the company, and deception by inducing Vodafone to make payments to named business entities, for his own gain.

Yesterday Mr Barron made his second appearance at the district court where Judge Anthony Halpin heard that there were 13 new charges. Det-Gda Niland said that the accused, “made no reply after caution”.

The fresh deception charges, under Section Six of the Theft and Fraud Act, are for allegedly inducing Vodafone Ireland to pay various sums to named business entities, from 2003 until 2006.

The DPP has directed trial on indictment meaning the case will forward for trial to the Circuit Court once the book of evidence has been completed.

Defence solicitor John Bermingham told Judge Halpin that his client was “anxious to move matters along” and there was consent to a six-week adjournment.

The accused was remanded on bail and ordered to appear again on October 14 when it is expected he will be served with a book of evidence and returned for trial.

He remained silent during the proceedings yesterday and has not yet indicated how he will plead.

At his first hearing in July, bail had been set in Mr Barron’s own bond of €1,000. He was ordered to sign on twice a week at Wexford Garda Station, to notify gardaí if he changes address and not to apply for any new travel documents.

A second person was also charged on July 31 last and is due back in court later this month.

More in this section

The Business Hub
Newsletter

News and analysis on business, money and jobs from Munster and beyond by our expert team of business writers.

Sign up
Puzzles logo
IE-logo

Puzzles hub

Visit our brain gym where you will find simple and cryptic crosswords, sudoku puzzles and much more. Updated at midnight every day.

Lunchtime
News Wrap

A lunchtime summary of content highlights on the Irish Examiner website. Delivered at 1pm each day.

Sign up
Revoiced
Newsletter

Our Covid-free newsletter brings together some of the best bits from irishexaminer.com, as chosen by our editor, direct to your inbox every Monday.

Sign up