Macron vows to tackle violent activist groups after fatal beating in Lyon
French president Emmanuel Macron has called for calm ahead of marches organised by far-right groups, after a nationalist activist died from a beating in Lyon.
The incident that led to the death of 23-year-old Quentin Deranque highlighted a climate of deep political tensions ahead of next year’s presidential vote in France.
Speaking at the Paris agriculture fair, Mr Macron said he will launch a review of violent activist groups, and urged “everyone to remain calm” before Saturday’s tributes to Mr Deranque, who died of brain injuries in hospital last week.
The demonstrations will take place under heavy police scrutiny.
Mr Macron said: “This is a moment of remembrance and respect for this young compatriot who was killed, for his family and loved ones. That must come first. And then it is a moment of firmness and responsibility.”
Seven people have been handed preliminary charges.
The Lyon public prosecutor’s office requested that each of them be charged with intentional homicide, aggravated violence and criminal conspiracy. Six of the accused were charged on all three counts.
The seventh was charged with complicity in intentional homicide, aggravated violence and criminal conspiracy.
Mr Deranque was attacked during a fight that erupted between far-left and far-right supporters on the margins of a student meeting where a far-left legislator, Rima Hassan, was a keynote speaker.
Mr Macron said he will hold a meeting with ministers next week to carry out a comprehensive review of all violent activist groups that have links to political parties. He hinted that some groups could be dismantled.
“In the Republic, no violence is legitimate,” he said. “There is no place for militias, wherever they come from. We must be absolutely uncompromising.”
The main tribute to Mr Deranque was scheduled later on Saturday in Lyon, where clashes between far-right activists and far-left groups have become frequent.
Their fighting often takes the form of organised street battles in the city, sometimes involving groups of several dozen people.
Lyon’s far-left-leaning militant groups are more recent and were created in reaction to the many far-right groups that have been present for several decades.
The city is seen by intelligence services as the cradle of far-right activism in France.
Mr Deranque’s parents have also called for calm and will not take part in the tribute, which has not been banned by French authorities.
The 23-year-old’s death triggered a storm of recriminations, mostly blaming the far-left France Unbowed party and its leader, Jean-Luc Melenchon.
Among the suspects is the parliamentary aide of a France Unbowed legislator who set up the anti-fascist group The Young Guard.
France Unbowed’s opponents accuse it of fomenting violence and tensions with its combative far-left politics. Mélenchon has condemned the violence and insisted that his party bore no blame for the tragedy.
Mr Melenchon stood for the presidency in 2012, 2017 and 2022, but failed to advance to the decisive run-off round. He is preparing for another expected run next year, when Mr Macron’s second and last term ends.
France is holding municipal elections next month and right-wing political forces have been using the incident to demonise France Unbowed. Far-right National Rally leader Jordan Bardella has called for a common front against Mr Melenchon’s party.
Criticism also came from prominent figures on the left, including former French president François Hollande.
He said the mainstream left, including his Socialist Party, must not team up again with Mr Melenchon’s party for the upcoming elections, as they did in the past.




