Britain's former prince Andrew released under investigation after misconduct in public office arrest
Police officers at Royal Lodge, the former home of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor in Windsor, Berkshire (Jonathan Brady/PA)
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released under investigation following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office over his ties to paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein.
The former prince, who became the first senior British royal in modern history to be arrested, is accused of sharing sensitive information with Epstein while serving as the UK’s trade envoy.
Mountbatten-Windsor was pictured slouched in the back of a vehicle on Thursday evening as he left Aylsham police station in Norfolk.
Thames Valley Police said he was released under investigation and searches at a property in Norfolk, Andrew’s home on the Sandringham Estate, had concluded.
Searches at his former address, the Royal Lodge in Windsor, Berkshire, are ongoing.
His brother, Britain's King Charles III, said “the law must take its course” after expressing his “deepest concern” over the arrest, which came after millions of files were released by the US Department of Justice in relation to the Epstein scandal.
Read More
Mountbatten-Windsor was detained on his 66th birthday following allegations that he shared reports of official visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore with disgraced financier Epstein.
He has denied any wrongdoing over his Epstein links, but has not directly responded to the latest allegations.
After serving for 22 years in the Royal Navy, he became the UK’s special representative for international trade and investment in 2001.
He stepped down in 2011 amid the furore over his friendship with paedophile Epstein.
Mountbatten-Windsor has denied any wrongdoing over his Epstein links, but has not directly responded to the latest allegations.

It is understood neither King Charles nor Buckingham Palace was informed in advance of the arrest.
Prince William and Kate Middleton are understood to support the king’s statement, which read: “As I have said before, they (the police) have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.
“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.”
According to the Crown Prosecution Service’s (CPS) website, misconduct in public office carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.
A suspect can generally be held in custody for up to 24 hours, but this can be extended to 96 hours if an extension is sought at a magistrates’ court.
When the custody time limit has expired, the majority of suspects are either charged or released pending further investigation.
King Charles's brother is effectively no longer a royal, becoming a commoner after he was stripped by the monarch of both his right to be a prince and his dukedom late last year over his association with Epstein.
He does, however, remain in the line of succession – he is eighth in line to the throne, having gradually moved down after being born second in line.




