Britain's former prince Andrew arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. Picture: Toby Melville/PA Wire
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office by police investigating the former prince’s dealings with the convicted child sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Photographs of unmarked police cars and plainclothes officers at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate emerged just after 8am on Thursday. Mountbatten-Windsor has been living at Wood Farm for almost three weeks after leaving the Royal Lodge in Windsor.
A statement from Thames Valley police said: “We have today (19/2) arrested a man in his 60s from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. The man remains in police custody at this time.”
Norfolk police confirmed they were supporting Thames Valley’s investigation.
Mountbatten-Windsor, who turned 66 on Thursday, has always denied any wrongdoing or accusations against him. Thames Valley is one of a number of police forces to have assessed allegations that resurfaced when the so-called Epstein files were published by the US Department of Justice.
The force previously said it was reviewing allegations that a woman was trafficked to the UK by Epstein to have a sexual encounter with Andrew, and claims he shared sensitive information with the disgraced financier while serving as the UK’s trade envoy.
Oliver Wright, the force’s assistant chief constable, said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office. It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
Wright previously said information was evaluated during an assessment phase to determine whether a criminal offence was suspected and a full investigation required. “Allegations of misconduct in public office involve particular complexities, and therefore an assessment must be conducted carefully and thoroughly,” he said.
“While we cannot provide timescales over when a decision as to whether a criminal investigation will be opened, we can assure you that Thames Valley police is making progress as quickly as possible.”
The allegations stem from documents released by the US justice department relating to Epstein and his links to the rich and powerful. Emails released appeared to show Mountbatten-Windsor sharing reports of official visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore.
One email, dated November 2010, appeared to be forwarded by the former duke to Epstein five minutes after it was sent by his then special adviser, Amir Patel. Another, seemingly sent on Christmas Eve 2010, included a confidential brief on investment opportunities in the reconstruction of Helmand province, Afghanistan.
Last October, amid growing anxiety within the royal household about the reputational risk to the monarchy caused by headlines concerning Mountbatten-Windsor’s friendship with Epstein, Buckingham Palace announced it would strip him of his royal titles.
It was also announced the former duke would move out of the Royal Lodge in Windsor.
Mountbatten-Windsor has been approached for comment.





