Two-year-old identified as Grenfell Tower victim

A toddler has been identified as one of the latest victims of the Grenfell Tower fire.

Two-year-old identified as Grenfell Tower victim

A toddler has been identified as one of the latest victims of the Grenfell Tower fire.

Two-year-old Jeremiah Deen was formally identified as one of the 80-plus people who died in the high rise blaze, the Metropolitan Police said.

He is believed to be one of the youngest victims of the tower block fire.

The death of his mother, 32-year-old Zainab Deen, was confirmed at an inquest in July.

She was discovered on the 14th floor and her preliminary cause of death was given as "consistent with the effects of fire".

In a statement their family said: "We would like to express our heartfelt appreciation to all relatives and friends for their prayers, floral tributes and expression of condolences during this difficult time.

"Funeral arrangements will be announced later as plans are being made to lay mother and son to rest.

"'You spent a moment in our arms, but you will last a lifetime in our hearts'. RIP Zainab and Jeremiah."

A total of 45 people have been formally identified as having died in the fire on June 14, Scotland Yard said.

It comes as Grenfell Response Team said that just 12 households had been moved into new homes and out of emergency accommodation, six weeks after the disaster.

The team said that 45 offers had been accepted out of 174 initial offers for temporary or permanent accommodation.

From this week, residents from 33 flats in the tower and 22 flats in Grenfell Walk which were least affected by the fire will be able to ask specialist teams to recover their personal possessions safely.

Meanwhile, a hospital trauma unit is to move buildings for up to a year due to fire safety concerns which arose in the wake of the Grenfell Tower fire.

Some 52 inpatient beds will be moved from the trauma unit at Oxford's John Radcliffe Hospital from Friday, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust said.

The decision follows recommendations from a report commissioned by the Trust after a fire safety review of cladded buildings on four of its main hospital sites in the weeks after the high-rise blaze.

The trust said the move was not just because of the building's cladding but due to "a combination of fire safety factors".

The report, by fire safety consultancy Trenton Fire, made a number of recommendations to improve fire safety before the building can be reoccupied by inpatients, including replacing the cladding.

It is thought the works will take up to 12 months to be completed.

The beds will be moved from the unit to other wards within the hospital.

The ground-floor outpatient clinic will remain open, while upper floors will be safe to use as office and storage space.

The DCLG has released the results of the first of a new wave of large-scale tests, revealing that cladding made of aluminium composite material panels with polyethylene filler and foam insulation does not meet current building regulations.

So far 82 buildings currently have this combination of materials in their cladding, and 47 of these are local authority or housing association-owned or managed.

More in this section

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox