Sense of relief across Boston

Celebrations erupted in Boston as the capture of the remaining marathon bombing suspect was announced in a tweet from police.

Sense of relief across Boston

Celebrations erupted in Boston as the capture of the remaining marathon bombing suspect was announced in a tweet from police.

In the Watertown neighbourhood where 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev engaged in a firefight with police while hiding out in a parked boat, dozens of people at a police barricade cheered and applauded as law enforcement officers left the scene.

“Never in my wildest dreams did I think that this would result in a shootout in Watertown,” said Sheamus McGovern, who was among the crowd of people gathered outside Mount Auburn Hospital, where Tsarnaev was taken after his capture.

Early yesterday, 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev was killed in a gun battle and car chase during which he and his younger brother hurled explosives at police from a stolen car, authorities said.

Mr McGovern had been startled when he heard “what sounded like firecrackers, last night after one, and then pure bedlam”. He could hear the helicopters overhead all day.

He said: “It’s just a huge relief to be able to get outdoors. Another day of that, I don’t want to start getting angry.”

The jubilation was widespread. Thomas Menino, the mayor of Boston, which was largely paralysed during the manhunt Friday, tweeted: “We got him!”

And at the home of the New York Mets, fans leapt to their feet and cheered when the news spread during a game against the Washington Nationals.

Hundreds of people marched down Commonwealth Avenue, chanting “USA” and singing the Red Sox anthem Sweet Caroline as they headed toward Boston Common.

Police blocked traffic along part of the street to allow for the impromptu parade.

Earlier, the mood had been sombre. On Boylston Street, three blocks from the site of the marathon explosions on Monday, several dozen people gathered almost in complete silence. Some were crying.

Boston University student Aaron Wengertsman, 19, wrapped himself in an American flag as a silent crowd gathered. He was on the marathon route a mile from the finish line when the bombs exploded.

“I’m glad they caught him alive,” he said.

“I thought people might be more excited, but it’s humbling to see all these people paying their respects.”

Nearby, 25-year-old lawyer Beth Lloyd-Jones said it felt like she had her city back. She was close to the blast in her south end home on Monday.

“That could have been any one of us,” she said of the victims. “Now I feel a little safer.”

Bathed in the flashing lights from Kenmore Square’s rooftop Citgo sign, Boston University juniors Brendan Hathaway and Sam Howes high-fived strangers as they walked down the street.

“This was like our first opportunity to really be outside without feeling like there imminent danger,” said Mr Hathaway, a mechanical engineering student. “It was close to home for me.”

In Boston’s Dorchester neighbourhood, where an eight-year-old boy killed in the bombing lived, people set off fireworks to celebrate.

More in this section


Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox