The Justice March For Baby P delivered a petition to 10 Downing Street in London today calling for “urgent far reaching changes to the child protection system”.
The campaigners – estimated by police at around 300 – marched through the capital to demand that no other children should suffer the same fate as Baby P.
Organisers said the petition contained 20,000 signatures.
Baby P, who cannot be named for legal reasons, died in a blood-splattered cot in August last year.
Stacey Crisp, 21, from Harlow, Essex, England said: “We are handing in a petition calling for a public inquiry into the system and for tougher sentences for child abusers.
“We have asked for all professionals involved to be sacked without pay and urgent far reaching changes to the child protection system.
“We want justice for this baby and for all the children out there that are being let down by these professionals.
“It’s also about remembering this poor child who suffered so horrifically. He is truly loved now. He’s the nation’s baby.”
Another organiser, Antonia Price, 34, from Basildon, Essex, added: “I think Ed Balls has started the process but there are still lots of unanswered questions.
“I think there is a lot more to this case than we have been allowed to know and there are still a lot more people that need to answer for what happened to Baby P.”
Crowds gathered at Millbank in central London wearing Baby P T-shirts and carrying banners which said: “The Nation’s Angel” and “March For Baby P. Don’t forget Babies A-Z”.
Baby P suffered more than 50 injuries at the hands of his abusive mother, 27, her 32-year-old boyfriend, and their lodger, Jason Owen, 36, despite 60 contacts with the authorities in Haringey, north London, over eight months.
Inspectors were sent into Haringey by the British government after the trial of those responsible for Baby P’s brutal death.
A seven-strong team – from Ofsted, the Health Care Commission and the Chief Inspector of Constabulary – identified a number of “serious concerns” about the safe guarding of children in the north London borough.
In a 16-page report, they condemned everything from poor record-keeping to a failure to identify children at an immediate risk of harm.
Britiain's children’s secretary Ed Balls removed the council’s head of children’s services from her post earlier this month after the report was published.
Sharon Shoesmith, 55, remained on full pay while the council considered her case until she was sacked on Monday.
Mr Balls announced yesterday that her replacement will be Peter Lewis, a senior council manager currently at Enfield.
The three people convicted over Baby P’s death will be sentenced at the Old Bailey next month for causing or allowing the death of a child.
The Justice March For Baby P gathered pace after 11 mothers and other women from all over the UK teamed up to set up a group on social networking site Facebook.