Wembley fans to be shown Madeleine film

Football fans will again be enlisted in the search for Madeleine McCann today, when a film of the missing girl is played at the FA Cup Final.

Football fans will again be enlisted in the search for Madeleine McCann today, when a film of the missing girl is played at the FA Cup Final.

The two-minute video will be shown to fans on the big screens at Wembley Stadium during the match between Manchester United and Chelsea, probably before kick-off and again at half-time.

The clip, which has the soundtrack of the Simple Minds hit Don’t You Forget About Me, was earlier screened at the Uefa Cup final between Sevilla and Espanyol in Glasgow on Wednesday.

It is 16 days since Madeleine was abducted as she slept in her bed in her parents’ holiday apartment in the seaside village of Praia da Luz, Portugal.

After a week of dramatic developments in the investigation into the four-year-old’s disappearance, Portuguese police kept a low profile yesterday.

But there were reports that a girl matching Madeleine’s description was seen in Morocco last week, while inconsistencies emerged in a key witness’s accounts of his relationship with the only suspect in the case.

The Anglican Bishop of Gibraltar, whose diocese covers all of Europe apart from the UK and Ireland, will make a rare appearance in Praia da Luz today.

The Right Rev Geoffrey Rowell has already asked people across Europe – from Gibraltar to Moscow – to pray for Madeleine’s safe return.

In the morning he will conduct a service to institute and license Canadian Haynes Hubbard as the new senior chaplain for the Algarve.

Then he will travel to the church in Praia da Luz to lead an English evensong service, starting at 5pm.

Les Johnson, chaplaincy warden for the Algarve, said it was just a coincidence that the Bishop’s visit coincided with the McCann family’s agonising wait for news.

He added: “There’s a lot of sadness around at the moment, so it’s nice to have a joyous occasion like this.”

More than 75 million people around the world have expressed their support for Madeleine’s family by visiting their official website, www.findmadeleine.com.

A family spokeswoman said the young girl’s parents, Gerry and Kate McCann, from Rothley, Leicestershire, were taking strength from the “enormous support” they have received.

This week sick opportunists registered new money-making websites – advertising everything from mobile phone ringtones to health insurance – with very similar spellings to the official campaign site.

Madeleine’s uncle, John McCann, branded the people behind the websites “parasites” and accused them of trying to cash in on the family’s heartache.

Marie Olli, a Norwegian woman who lives in Fuengirola on the Costa del Sol and once lived in Leicestershire, said yesterday she was “very sure” she saw the missing girl in Marrakech on May 9.

While stopped at a petrol station she saw a “sad” young blonde girl who initially appeared to be standing on her own.

Then an “anonymous-looking” man in his late 30s came over and the girl asked him: “Can I see mummy soon?”

Meanwhile, discrepancies emerged in statements made by Russian computer expert Sergey Malinka, 22, who was interviewed as a witness by police on Wednesday night.

Mr Malinka designed a website for Anglo-Portuguese man Robert Murat, 33, who was this week named as the first “arguido” or suspect in Madeleine’s disappearance.

Mr Murat’s mobile phone records show he called Mr Malinka at 11.40pm on the night Madeleine went missing, according to the Evening Standard newspaper in London.

But the Russian IT specialist told the paper he had not spoken to Mr Murat for 12 months – and he told another reporter he had not seen him for three months.

Mr Malinka said yesterday he could not comment on the reports until the police investigation is over because of strict restrictions under Portuguese law.

But he stressed his relationship with Mr Murat was “strictly business” and added that if he could give his side of the story, “it would prove me innocent, that everything is correct”.

Mr Murat’s home in Praia da Luz, just yards from the spot where Madeleine was abducted, has been the centre of intense police activity.

The Portuguese newspaper Correio da Manha reported yesterday that police have so far found no traces of the missing girl anywhere in Mr Murat’s villa.

Mr Murat has told police he was at home with his mother on the night Madeleine went missing and strenuously denies any involvement in her abduction.

Although police say they do not have enough evidence to charge or even formally arrest Mr Murat, he is the first person they have formally classed as a suspect.

Tottenham Hotspur said the club’s players had made a private donation to the “Madeleine’s Fund: Leaving No Stone Unturned” appeal.

Player Robbie Keane said: “The lads all saw the news about the appeal on the television and thought straight away that we wanted to do our bit to help.”

More in this section

IE_logo_newsletters

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox