Expert warns of major Afghan cholera outbreak
More than 2,000 cases of cholera have been detected in the Afghan capital Kabul in recent weeks, and at least eight people have died, a health expert warned Tuesday, saying the city is on the verge of an epidemic.
"An epidemic is about to break out here. More than two thousand cases have been reported so far," said Fred Hartman, technical director for a US AID-backed health and development programme who has been directly involved with efforts to contain the outbreak.
Hartman said eight or nine people had died in the past two weeks, and warned the disease could spread quickly throughout the city's four million population. "There are always deaths with cholera," he said.
Cholera is a major killer in developing countries, where it is spread mainly through contaminated food or water. The bacterium attacks the intestine and causes severe diarrhoea and dehydration.
The warning was in stark contrast to Afghan Health Ministry official Ahmid Shah Shukomand's claim yesterday that the outbreak had been contained.
"We had about 200 to 300 cases, but they were discharged from hospitals after treatment," Shukomand said.
He said authorities had launched a campaign urging people to boil drinking water, wash vegetables before eating them and regularly wash hands. Health ministry workers have chlorinated wells throughout the city, he added.




