One of the Prince of Wales’ key aides has broken his silence to deny allegations he raped another male servant.
The aide, who has not been named, issued a denial through his solicitors yesterday – the day two national newspapers alleged Mr Burrell was gay and Diana’s “Rock” himself appeared in a television interview for the first time since the collapse of his Old Bailey trial.
Charles’ aide was accused of rape by ex-valet George Smith, 42, in the Mail on Sunday today.
But the alleged attacker yesterday labelled his accuser an “unreliable alcoholic” who kept changing his story.
The statement, from Kingsley Napley solicitors, said: “The allegations made now to the Mail on Sunday by Mr Smith differ substantially and significantly in many regards from those made to the police last year and must cast serious doubt on Mr Smith’s reliability and the accuracy of any allegations he might be persuaded to make.”
It added: “Our client has consistently denied that these offences ever took place, and whilst he has no desire to enter into the current media frenzy, cannot allow wholly untrue allegations against him to be reported and unchallenged.”
Mr Smith claimed the aide raped him in 1989 and later tried to assault him again while they were both accompanying the Prince of Wales on a foreign tour to Cairo.
Last year police investigated the matter but Scotland Yard said the alleged victim chose not to pursue the claim and it was subsequently dropped.
The incident has come back into the spotlight following the breakdown of the trial of the Princess of Wales’ former butler Paul Burrell.
Mr Smith, who was married at the time, claimed that in 1996 he told Diana about the alleged rape and that she recorded his accusation on tape.
The Mail on Sunday claimed Diana deposited the cassettes, one labelled “The Confessions of George Smith” in a locked mahogany box – the one police were searching for when they raided Mr Burrell’s house during their theft inquiry in January 2001.