Despite passing out after choking on a pretzel, US President George Bush has not changed his snacking habits.
‘‘Heck, no,’’ Bush said. ‘‘If I want to sit by myself and watch football with the dogs, I’m going to,’’ Bush said. ‘‘I even fired up a pretzel the other day, and it got down smoothly.’’
The president passed out and scraped his face on January 13 after swallowing a pretzel that went down the wrong way while he was watching American football on TV.
First lady Laura Bush was talking on the phone elsewhere in the White House when her husband called for her. ‘‘He called me on the phone and said, ‘Come down. Something terrible has happened,’’’ she said.
‘‘So as I ran down, everything went through my mind. I didn’t actually think it would be him that was sick because I’d left him sitting on the couch watching television,’’ she said. ‘‘I couldn’t imagine, but, you know, you could tell it was only a surface rug burn.’’
The scrape on Bush’s face is beginning to heal.