German news agency DPA reported that the regional court in the eastern city of Dresden sentenced the man to eight years and six months in prison.
Judges concluded that Detlev Günzel, 57, killed a 59-year-old businessman from Hannover in November 2013. He reportedly chopped up his victim while listening to pop music.
Günzel took his victim to a basement, strangled him, and chopped him into pieces.
A video reportedly shows Günzel in his underwear slicing the naked body of his victim into pieces while it hangs from a hook.
Described as “absolutely horrific” and “beyond belief” by lawyers, the 50-minute tape features Günzel dismembering the corpse while pop music plays. He stops on one occasion to check for a heartbeat.
Prosecutors say the Polish-born victim had fantasised about being eaten, but there was no evidence the suspect actually did so.
The court had heard that the accused had cut the body into small pieces and buried them in his garden, but there was no evidence that he ate any part of his victim
The defendant, who worked as a police handwriting expert, denied the murder and said the victim killed himself.
The men contacted each other on a website for cannibalism fetishists.
They kept in contact before finally arranging the fatal date for November 4, 2013.
“He was found guilty of murder and disturbing the peace of the dead,” said Judge Birgit Wiegand.
Günzel went on trial in August over the killing of Polish-born Wojciech Stempniewicz, a business consultant, at the defendant’s home, a B&B in the mountain town of Hartmannsdorf-Reichenau near the Czech border, in November 2013.
The men had come across each other a month earlier on a website for slaughter and cannibalism fantasies which billed itself as the “#1 site for exotic meat” and boasted more than 3,000 members