Obama admits US misjudged IS threat

President Barack Obama acknowledged that US intelligence agencies underestimated the threat from Islamic State militants and overestimated the ability and will of Iraq’s army to fight.

Questioning Obama’s strategy to destroy the group, House Speaker John Boehner said the US may have “no choice” but to send in American troops if the mix of US-led airstrikes and a ground campaign reliant on Iraqi forces, Kurdish fighters and soon-to-be trained Syrian rebels, fails to achieve that goal.

Boehner, in an interview broadcast yesterday, said he believes Congress should consider a resolution authorising the use of force for this specific mission.

Boehner said he would bring lawmakers back to Washington — they are not set to return until after the November 4 election — if Obama were to seek such a resolution.

Obama described the US intelligence assessments in response to a question during a CBS 60 Minutes interview that was aired last night. He was asked about how Islamic State fighters had come to control so much territory in Syria and Iraq and whether it was a surprise to him.

The president said that during the Iraq war, US military forces with the help of Iraq’s Sunni tribes were able to quash al Qaeda fighters, who went “back underground”.

“During the chaos of the Syrian civil war, where essentially you have huge swaths of the country that are completely ungoverned, they were able to reconstitute themselves and take advantage of that chaos,” Obama said, according to an excerpt release before the show aired.

He noted that director of national intelligence, James Clapper, has acknowledged that the US “underestimated what had been taking place in Syria”. Obama said it was “absolutely true” that the US overestimated the ability of the Iraqi army.

The Obama administration has cited its intelligence weaknesses before. At an August news conference, he said “there is no doubt” that the Islamic State advance “has been more rapid than the intelligence estimates” suggested it would be.

US intelligence agencies, he said, did not have “a full appreciation of the degree to which the Iraqi security forces, when they’re far away from Baghdad, did not have the incentive or the capacity to hold ground against an aggressive adversary”.

The White House pushed back against Boehner’s comments on ABC’s This Week about the potential need for American ground troops to confront the militants.

Asked whether he would recommend sending in Americans if no one else was able to step up, Boehner said: “We have no choice. These are barbarians. They intend to kill us. And if we don’t destroy them first, we’re going to pay the price.”

But Obama’s deputy national security adviser, Tony Blinken, said the country would not see a repeat of the Iraq war.

“Hundreds of thousands of Americans on the ground in the Middle East getting bogged down, that’s exactly what al Qaeda wants,” Blinken said. “That’s not what we’re going to do.”

More in this section

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox