Lennon’s killer Chapman to have seventh parole hearing this week

Mark David Chapman, who shot dead former Beatle John Lennon 32 years ago, will have his seventh parole hearing this week, New York state’s department of corrections has said.

A decision on whether to release him will likely be made public by the end of the week, said department spokeswoman Linda Foglia.

Chapman’s interviews with the parole board will take place at the Wende Correctional Facility, a maximum-security prison in Alden, New York, where he is being held, she said.

Chapman, 57, is serving a prison sentence of 20 years to life for shooting Lennon four times in the back outside the musician’s New York City apartment block on Dec 8, 1980.

He pleaded guilty to second-degree murder. He has come up for parole every two years since 2000 and has been turned down each time.

After his last hearing in 2010, the parole board cited in written comments to Chapman, the “disregard you displayed for the norms of our society and the sanctity of human life”.

Ahead of that hearing, the parole division received dozens of letters arguing against Chapman’s release, including one from Yoko Ono, Lennon’s widow, who said she believed Chapman posed a risk to her, Lennon’s two sons, the public, and himself.

Chapman was transferred in May to Wende from Attica Correctional Facility, where he had been held for 31 years.

More in this section

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox