Two tried to sell baby girl

TWO baby traffickers have been found guilty of trying to sell an 11-month-old girl as a slave.

A 48-year-old man and 29-year-old woman were exposed offering the child in return for £35,000 in cash in a News of the World sting last year.

The pair, from north-east London, brokered the deal in a string of phone calls and a hotel meeting with an undercover reporter from the paper.

A jury at Inner London Crown Court found the pair guilty of conspiracy to commit child cruelty and slavery, the Metropolitan Police said.

Child abuse detectives arrested the pair and rescued the child.

In September 2010, the man told a “friend” he wanted to sell a child he claimed was his daughter, the court heard.

The friend contacted the News of the World and a meeting was arranged with the pair. Scotland Yard was unable to reveal the pair’s names or their relationship with the child. The pair will be sentenced on May 27.

More in this section

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited