Woman walks free after carving name into lover’s arm

A WOMAN who carved her name into her lover’s arm during a drink and drug-fuelled fling walked free from court yesterday.

Dominique Fisher, 22, used a Stanley knife to write her name on Wayne Robinson’s arm in a “drunken, drugged up atmosphere”, Burnley Crown Court heard.

She inflicted the injuries on the 24-year-old at her home in Roebuck Close, Blackburn, Lancashire.

Robinson woke to find his body decorated with a star on his back, “Dominique” written on his upper right arm, and slash marks on his left arm and shoulder.

He told police he had drunk vodka and taken valium and was not awake during the incident on the night of June 14 last year.

Robinson told police he panicked when he woke up and took a taxi back to his home in Lancashire.

Fisher maintained Robinson was aware of what she was doing, during her three-day trial at Preston Crown Court last month.

She was found guilty of one charge of unlawful wounding.

The pair had met two nights earlier in a Blackpool nightclub and had gone back to a flat and taken cocaine. They then arranged to meet again at Fisher’s home.

Judge Andrew Woolman told Fisher: “I’m quite satisfied that both of you had a great deal to drink and took other substances, including valium, and both of you were in no fit state to be doing anything.

“It seems there was consensual sexual intercourse on the Saturday night, although Wayne Robinson doesn’t recall it and also, in that drunken, drugged up atmosphere it seemed you got hold of a Stanley knife blade and carved your initials and other patterns into his body.

“The cuts were not deep, fortunately, and left your name carved into his arm.”

The judge said a pre-sentence report identified her as a “very isolated and needy young women” and said she needed help in several areas of her life.

It also emerged that Fisher reported him to the police as he left for taking possessions from her home.

Robinson then reported her to police for inflicting the cuts on him.

Fisher received a two-year community order, with a two-year supervision requirement.

She declined to comment as she left court.

Two US navy vessels collidein key oil route

By Reem Khalifa, Manama, Bahrain

TWO US navy vessels — a nuclear-powered submarine and an amphibious ship — collided before dawn yesterday in the mouth of the Persian Gulf, one of the world’s most important sea passages for oil supplies.

There was no damage to the sub’s nuclear propulsion system and no disruption to shipping in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, through which a fifth of the world’s oil passes, said navy spokesman Lt Nate Christensen, with the Bahrain-based 5th Fleet.

Still, the unusual collision between members of the same navy sparked a sudden rise in oil prices — which had been declining on the day — even though the strait remained open.

With pressure pulling prices down in the financial crisis, the rise was nowhere near what would have been expected months ago, when such a collision would likely have sent prices skyrocketing.

The incident occurred at about 1am, when the USS Hartford, a submarine, and the USS New Orleans, an amphibious ship, collided.

The New Orleans suffered a ruptured fuel tank, resulting in an oil spill of about 25,000 gallons of diesel fuel.

Fifteen sailors aboard the Hartford were slightly injured but able to return to duty.

No injuries were reported aboard the New Orleans and both ships are operating under their own power.

More in this section

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox