Toddler seriously ill after drinking cleaning fluid

A BRITISH toddler was seriously ill in a Cyprus hospital last night after accidentally drinking cleaning fluid in a hotel bar.

Annabel Rhodes suffered severe internal injuries when a barman accidentally put the liquid in her orange juice at the Curium Palace hotel in the resort of Limassol on Saturday afternoon, police said.

The two-year-old was rushed to Makarios Hospital in the capital Nicosia with burns to her oesophagus and put on a respirator.

Earlier yesterday her condition was said to be critical but stable, and her parents are at her bedside.

Police said the toddler’s father ordered a drink of diluted orange juice from a 43-year-old barman at the hotel but instead of water the drink was diluted with cleaning fluid.

A spokesman for Limassol police said: “The police are investigating this case.”

More in this section

IE_logo_newsletters

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox