US missile shield test sends $85m up in smoke
About 16 minutes earlier, a target missile carrying a mock warhead had been successfully fired from Kodiak Island, Alaska, according to the Missile Defence Agency. The aborted $85m (€63m) test appeared likely to set back plans for activation of a rudimentary bulwark against long-range ballistic missiles that could be fired by countries like North Korea.
In 2002, US president George Bush pledged to have initial elements of the programme up and running by the end of this year, while testing and development continued.
An “anomaly” of unknown origin caused the interceptor to shut down automatically in its silo at the Kwajalein Test Range in the Marshall Islands, said the Pentagon’s missile agency spokesman Richard Lehner. He said the test followed a week of delays caused by weather and technical glitches, including malfunction of an internal battery aboard the target missile on Tuesday.
“This is a serious setback for a programme that had not attempted a flight intercept test for two years,” said Philip Coyle, the Pentagon’s chief weapons tester under late president Ronald Reagan in an email exchange.
The system is a scaled-down version of a ballistic missile shield first outlined in March 1983 by Mr Reagan and derided by critics as “Star Wars.” Pentagon officials had hoped the test would set the stage for any decision by Mr Bush to put the system on alert in coming weeks.
Initially, the system was designed to counter North Korean missiles that could be fired at the US and tipped with nuclear, chemical or germ weapons.
“I’m not constrained by timing, exactly,” Michael Wynne, the Pentagon’s chief weapons buyer, said on December 8 in reply to a question about switching the system on. “But we’ll see how (the test) goes and then we’ll see from there.”




