Trapped British cavers rescued as row goes on
Mexico asked Britain to explain the activities of the military cave divers.
The Foreign Relations Department asked for "a detailed explanation of the type of activities" the group was carrying out "and about the objectives of their investigation".
Two British and several Mexican divers pulled three of the explorers from the mouth of the Alpazat caverns, where they had been trapped since March 17. The mission continued to rescue the other three trapped cavers. Most of the explorers are members of Britain's Combined Services which encompasses the army, navy and air force. Members of the team on the surface said the group was not in danger.
On Wednesday, President Vicente Fox announced that his government was sending "a protest and a demand for clarification from the English government. Why were those people there?"
The Foreign Office said in London that the trip was "strictly a caving expedition, had no other purpose and any suggestions to the contrary are completely unfounded". The British Ministry of Defence said the men were on an "official military adventurous training expedition" of a military caving club, though not a formal military exercise.
Some Mexican news media expressed irritation that the cavers had refused repeated Mexican offers of help at the same time as they were calling in rescue divers from Britain.




