Luka Modric to carry on playing for Croatia after Nations League call-up
Modric is 39 but will continue to play for his national side for the Nations League
Luka Modric looks set to extend his 18-year international career after Croatia named him in their squad for the opening matches of this season's Nations League.
The Real Madrid midfielder, 39 next month, was rumoured to be retiring from representing his national team after Euro 2024.
Croatia head coach Zlatko Dalic has named a 24-man squad for his side's opening match against Portugal in Lisbon on September 5 and at home to Poland three days later.
Croatia will be without Domagoj Vida and Marcelo Brozovic, who have both retired from international football.
Dalic said: "We are without two senators, Vida and Brozovic, but happy that our captain remains on board. Luka is our great strength, both on and off the field."
Modric became the oldest player to score in European Championship history in Croatia's 1-1 draw against Italy in their final group game at Euro 2024.
He started in all three of Croatia's group games as they failed to qualify for the knockout stages.
Modric, who has made 178 appearances for his country since making his debut in 2006 in a friendly against Argentina, signed a one-year contract extension with Real Madrid in July.

In other international soccer news, Thierry Henry has stepped down as France Under-21 coach after winning an Olympic silver medal in Paris earlier this month.
The 47-year-old was contracted until next summer but has opted to leave his position after just a year in the job.
"Winning the silver medal at the Olympic Games for my country will remain one of the greatest prides of my life," said Henry.
"I am incredibly grateful to the federation, the players, the staff and the supporters who allowed me to live a magical experience."
Prior to his appointment by France, Henry had worked as assistant coach of Belgium with managerial jobs at Monaco and Major League Soccer side Montreal Impact.
"On behalf of the FFF (French Football Federation), I would like to thank Thierry Henry for all the work he has accomplished at the head of the under-21 and Olympic teams," said FFF president Philippe Diallo.
"We obviously regret this decision because Thierry Henry was able to achieve the objectives that had been set for him by winning a silver medal at the Paris Olympics, 40 years after the Olympic medal in Los Angeles.
"Having followed him throughout this campaign, I was able to discover his great professionalism, his rigour and his love of the blue jersey.
"We wish him good luck for the rest of his career."




