McCoist 'absolutely no comment' on Rangers quit rumours

Ally McCoist insists he and his players will be back at work on Saturday morning after refusing to confirm or deny he had offered to quit as Rangers boss.

McCoist 'absolutely no comment' on Rangers quit rumours

Ally McCoist insists he and his players will be back at work on Saturday morning after refusing to confirm or deny he had offered to quit as Rangers boss.

A day of rumour and speculation ended in more uncertainty on Friday as the Light Blues manager turned down several chances to explain rumours which claimed he was finally ready to walk away from Ibrox.

Reports emerged around 1.30pm suggesting the 52-year-old had handed in his 12-month notice period required by his one-year rolling contract.

Sources later claimed his resignation offer - which could cost the club up to £1.4m in severance payments - had been knocked back by the Light Blues' cash-strapped board.

He was speaking after watching his side suffer another humiliating 2-0 loss to Queen of the South.

Goals from Kevin Holt and Gavin Reilly at Palmerston now leaves the Ibrox side in danger of dropping 12 points behind Scottish Championship leaders Hearts and out of the race for automatic promotion.

But McCoist did say he still hoped to be in charge of the Glasgow giants next season - and revealed work on improving his struggling side would not stop.

Asked if he believed he would still be boss next season, the club's record scorer said: "Absolutely. I'm the Rangers manager and that will hopefully be the case for the foreseeable future.

"I told the (players before the match) I was the Rangers manager and I would continue to be the Rangers manager.

"We will be back in at Murray Park tomorrow. Will I be acting as if nothing has changed - 100%"

McCoist was asked at least three times after the match to clarify his future but would only say: "I have absolutely no comment on rumours.

"I can't have any bearing on speculation. I will deal with cold, hard facts. I think you know me well enough that I will give you an opinion on that. But I can't comment on speculation."

Hearts can inflate their current nine-point advantage if they beat Cowdenbeath in Fife on Saturday.

That left McCoist to admit: "There is no doubt that Hearts will be absolute outright favourites to win the league and get automatic promotion. Nobody would doubt that.

"We will continue to fight. The league isn't halfway through. There is a lot of football to be played.

"If we continue to play like that, we will have absolutely no chance of automatic promotion. That isn't in doubt.

"You would expect me to say this but I believe there are better performances in this team than we saw tonight.

"But, for us to have any chance of automatic promotion, we have to be miles better than we were tonight."

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox