Scotland brought back to earth by ruthless England

Scotland 1 England 3

Scotland brought back to earth by ruthless England

Scotland 1 England 3

Many had questioned Hodgson’s decision to play Wilshere in a deep midfield role, but he excelled there on Tuesday night, snapping at Scotland’s heels and spraying delicious long passes on the attack.

England’s full-backs got forward well and they looked sturdy at the back. Fraser Forster, making his second England start on his old Celtic stomping ground, did not have a save to make until the 55th minute.

But the biggest praise must go to Rooney, who moved above Jimmy Greaves to become England’s third-highest goalscorer of all time on his 101st appearance for the Three Lions.

His expertly-executed header was a fine way to put England 2-0 and just as he did on his 100th appearance against Slovenia, he scored at a crucial time to make sure of the victory.

England may have endured a torrid summer, but at least they end 2014 on a high.

England were made to feel unwelcome from the moment they stepped off the coach outside the ground.

Scotland supporters gathered at the top of Celtic Way and yelled insults at the squad as they filed past statues of Celtic greats like Jock Stein and into the ground.

It was much the same story at the start of the match. After walking on to a burst of fireworks around the pitch, not one word of God Save The Queen could be heard as the home fans made their voices heard.

Just as Rooney had predicted on the eve of the game, England dealt well with the ferocious atmosphere.

Hodgson’s men went on the attack and won their first corner inside two minutes.

The visitors played a high tempo, with Nathaniel Clyne and Luke Shaw both pushing forward to prevent Scotland’s full-backs from venturing forward.

David Marshall, who overcame an injury to start in goal, was tested for the first time seven minutes in by Danny Welbeck.

The England fans behaved so well in the build up to the match by joining in with a minute’s applause for Scotland supporter Nathan McSeveney, who died from a fall here on Friday.

But they let themselves down by singing “F*** the IRA” for at least five minutes.

The home fans whistled and booed as tensions rose. There were a couple of heated moments on the pitch too. Shaw needed treatment after a meaty challenge and Welbeck tussled with Steven Whittaker.

Scotland thought they should have had a penalty for a handball by Gary Cahill, but referee Jonas Eriksson waved play on.

Robertson raised the spirits of home fans by swinging in a teasing cross, but there was no-one there to tap in.

Any hopes of a Scotland opener were dashed 32 minutes in though. Wilshere pinged a long cross from deep and Oxlade-Chamberlain glanced the ball past Marshall.

Scotland made three changes at half-time, with Darren Fletcher, Craig Gordon and James Morrison coming on.

It was Gordon’s first appearance for four years. His first act was to pick the ball out of the net.

Robertson failed to clear an England free-kick and Rooney expertly nodded home.

Charlie Mulgrew earned a booking for a rash challenge on Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Chris Smalling would have put the result beyond doubt had he converted a free header. At the other end Fraser Forster made his first save of the night from Russell Martin.

England looked set to ease to victory, but Scotland pulled one back through Robertson.

But just two minutes later Rooney turned home Adam Lallana’s cross to move within three goals of Sir Bobby Charlton’s record and put the result beyond doubt.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox