Welsh court hears footballers 'procured' girl

Two British footballers “procured” a drunk teenage girl and raped her as two of their friends watched and filmed, a Welsh court has heard.

Two British footballers “procured” a drunk teenage girl and raped her as two of their friends watched and filmed, a Welsh court has heard.

Wales and Sheffield United striker Ched Evans, 23, and Clayton McDonald, also 23, deny the attack which allegedly took place at a Premier Inn near Rhyl, North Wales, during a bank holiday last May.

John Philpotts, prosecuting, told Caernarfon Crown Court that Port Vale defender McDonald, of Marys Gate, Crewe, Cheshire, and Evans, of Ashtree Gardens, Millhouse Green, Penistone, South Yorkshire, had admitted having sex with the complainant.

But he said the woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was too drunk to consent to sexual intercourse.

Mr Philpotts said that while the attack happened, Jack Higgins, an “associate” of the footballers, and Ryan Roberts, Evans’s brother, had watched through a window.

Video recordings found on Mr Higgins’s phone showed that he had been filming or trying to film the incident.

Evans is a graduate of the Manchester City youth academy and scored 10 goals in 28 league appearances while on loan to Norwich City in 2007.

The following year he scored in his debut game for Wales and later joined League One side Sheffield United in a £3m deal.

Liverpool-born McDonald, who was also part of the Manchester City youth scheme, has played for Macclesfield Town, Chesterfield and Walsall.

He joined Port Vale at the end of last season.

The court heard that the pair had spent the night of Sunday May 29 socialising with friends in Rhyl.

In the early hours of Monday May 30, 6ft 6in McDonald got into a taxi which the complainant had flagged down.

He then took the woman, whom he had seen fall over in a kebab shop, to the Premier Inn hotel as he called someone on his phone to say he had “got a girl”.

The complainant had been drinking wine, vodka with lemonade and had also had a sambuca shot.

A receptionist at the hotel described the woman, who was 19 at the time and worked in a restaurant, as “extremely drunk” and said she was “stumbling” and “slurring” and occasionally grabbing hold of

McDonald to steady herself.

Shortly after McDonald and the complainant arrived at the hotel, Evans came in to the reception and asked for the keys to a room.

Two men, who the prosecution say were Jack Higgins and Ryan Roberts, waited outside.

Mr Philpotts said: “Ched Evans had booked that room with the main or sole purpose of procuring a girl or girls that night.

“He and Clayton McDonald were on the lookout for any girl who was a suitable target and the claimant had literally stumbled across their path.”

After Evans went into the hotel, the receptionist decided to check what was happening in the room.

Mr Philpotts said: “It was not difficult to guess.”

The receptionist said he saw the two men who were waiting outside watching what was happening in the room through the window.

Evans and McDonald subsequently admitted to police that they “separately” had sex with the claimant in the room.

“The prosecution say that she did not truly consent to that activity,” Mr Philpotts said. "She was in no fit state to consent. And we say that neither man reasonably believed she was consenting.”

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox