Balotelli escapes firework blaze

Manchester City footballer Mario Balotelli has escaped unhurt after a firework went off in his bathroom.

Manchester City footballer Mario Balotelli has escaped unhurt after a firework went off in his bathroom.

Two fire engines were sent to the home of the 21-year-old Italian striker in Mottram St Andrew, Macclesfield, just after midnight today after the alarm was raised.

They found a fire in the bathroom on the first floor of the detached property.

Four firefighters arrived wearing breathing apparatus and used two hose reel water jets to douse the flames, and a large fan was deployed to clear smoke.

A spokesman for Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “Crews managed to put the fire out within half an hour of arriving but remained at the scene until 2.45 am to prevent any possible flare-ups.

“Smoke alarms were fitted at the property and the occupiers were able to get out unharmed. The fire was caused by a firework.”

The cause of the blaze is being examined by fire investigators and police but is not being treated as suspicious.

More in this section

Sport Newsletter

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox