Wigan back on top of Championship table

Wigan regained their place at the top of the Coca Cola Championship with a comfortable 2-0 victory over rock-bottom Rotherham.

Wigan regained their place at the top of the Coca Cola Championship with a comfortable 2-0 victory over rock-bottom Rotherham.

The division’s most potent strikeforce struck early on as Jason Roberts played in Nathan Ellington, only for the latter to unselfishly return the favour and Roberts finished coolly.

And Alan Mahon wrapped it up shortly after the hour mark to send the Millers home empty-handed.

Morning leaders Reading conceded their place at the top as they failed to find a breakthrough in a 0-0 draw at home to draw specialists Burnley.

West Ham broke Wolves’ hearts as Teddy Sheringham scored his 250th league goal 15 minutes from time to seal a 1-0 win for the Hammers.

The win gives Alan Pardew’s side a massive boost and they had Sheringham to thank for a superbly-executed finish past Michael Oakes after 75 minutes.

Championship manager of the month Ian Holloway showed no signs of succumbing to the dreaded ‘curse’ which often befalls award winners as his QPR side moved into joint-second with Reading

after grinding out a 1-0 win over fellow high-fliers Stoke.

Veteran Kevin Gallen was the Hoops’ hero in the midlands, pouncing after 69 minutes to put his side ahead. Gerry Taggart had earlier been sent off for violent conduct after a fracas.

Crewe hit form in dramatic fashion, smashing three first half goals to run out 3-0 victors over Watford at Gresty Road.

Prolific Steve Jones put them ahead 20 minutes into the game before Neil Sorvel finally found his scoring boots, netting a brace. His first came three minutes after Jones’ goal and he scored a second before half time to end Watford’s hopes before the break.

Darren Currie gave in-form Brighton a narrow lead against Sheffield United at the Withdean, but Paul Shaw scored his second goal in as many games to rescue a point for Neil Warnock’s troops.

The goal of the day came at the Walkers Stadium as Preston equalised to take a point against Leicester.

Trevor Benjamin had headed the Foxes in front four minutes into the game.

But Preston goalkeeper Andy Lonergan made up for conceding a goal by scoring one himself six minutes before half time.

His powerful kick from near his own goal bounced on the greasy surface and over his opposite number Kevin Pressman, into the net, leaving fans, players and coaching staff stunned.

Gillingham were cruelly denied even a point after leading at Plymouth.

Their man-of-the-moment Darius Henderson scored two minutes after half time and the Gills looked to be heading for three points.

But Frenchman David Friio struck early in added time to level, before a distraught Gillingham were stung by Friio once more as he engineered a winner to break the visitors’ hearts.

Two of the most anticipated games of the day, Cardiff against Leeds at Ninian Park and Sunderland against Derby at the Stadium of Light, ended in stalemates as none of the sides were able to break down their opponents.

More in this section

Sport Push Notifications

By clicking on 'Sign Up' you will be the first to know about our latest and best sporting content on this browser.

Sign Up

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Cookie Policy Privacy Policy FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Irish Examiner Ltd