Championship review

Millwall ended Leicester’s unbeaten start in the Coca-Cola Championship with a 2-0 win at The Den today.

Millwall ended Leicester’s unbeaten start in the Coca-Cola Championship with a 2-0 win at The Den today.

Jody Morris and Danny Dichio were the men on target as last season’s FA Cup finalists secured their first victory of the campaign.

Morris volleyed the Lions in front eight minutes before half-time and Dichio wrapped up the victory 14 minutes from time.

Ipswich also suffered their first defeat as Derby finally got off the mark with a 3-2 win at Pride Park.

Ipswich had led at half-time after responding to Marco Reich’s opener with a Tommy Miller penalty and a Dean Bowditch strike.

But the Rams hit back after the break as Inigo Idiakez levelled and Reich netted his second to win the match after 65 minutes.

Neil Sullivan saved a late Kenny Miller penalty as 10-man Leeds held on for a goalless draw at Wolves.

Kevin Blackwell’s side looked to be heading for a second successive defeat when Michael Duberry was sent off after bringing down Miller in the 85th minute and conceding a penalty.

But Sullivan parried Miller’s shot to deny a Wolves side that had dominated proceedings at Molineux as they searched for their first win of the season.

Gillingham moved up to second in the embryonic table after Iwan Roberts struck a late winner against Preston at Priestfield.

Ricardo Fuller had got North End back on level terms after Darren Byfield’s 16th-minute opener but Roberts settled the match when he headed home 12 minutes from time.

Reading are level with the Gills on six points after claiming their second win with a 1-0 success at Sheffield United.

James Harper scored the only goal of the game at Bramall Lane with a well-struck volley four minutes before the interval.

Stoke and Rotherham maintained their unbeaten records with a 1-1 draw at Millmoor.

Paul Shaw put the Millers on course for their first win of the season after 56 minutes but Stoke claimed the point that lifted them up to fourth through Ade Akinbiyi five minutes from time.

Ian Moore hit the only goal of the game as Burnley moved up to fifth by beating Watford for their first win of the season.

Moore headed home after 64 minutes at Vicarage to continue the Clarets’ solid start after draws in their opening two games.

Stephen Caldwell headed a 90th-minute equaliser as Sunderland snatched a 2-2 draw with QPR at the Stadium of Light.

Martin Rowlands had put Rangers on course for victory with a 71st minute goal after Paul Furlong and Marcus Stewart were both on target in the first half.

Nottingham Forest’s clash with Crewe at the City Ground also ended 2-2. Mark Rivers twice put the visitors ahead with goals in the first half but Forest responded through Gareth Taylor and Marlon King.

Defender Adam Virgo bagged an 89th-minute equaliser as Brighton claimed their first point with a 1-1 draw against Coventry, who had led through Stephen Hughes at the Withdean Stadium.

More in this section

Sport Push Notifications

By clicking on 'Sign Up' you will be the first to know about our latest and best sporting content on this browser.

Sign Up

Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up
Cookie Policy Privacy Policy FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Irish Examiner Ltd