Real Madrid midfielder Claude Makelele could be sold to Chelsea when club president Florentino Perez returns from holiday on Monday, according to the player’s agent.
The 30-year-old French international is currently refusing to train with the Spanish champions, which has led Madrid to turn to FIFA in order to discipline their unsettled star.
But agent Marc Roger believes the issue will be resolved as soon as Perez arrives in the Spanish capital at the start of next week.
“Florentino Perez said last year that he would sell Makelele for €10m and I am sure that Chelsea will offer a lot more than that,” he told Madrid-based sports daily Diario AS.
“Perez even named a price for Claude – €10m in cash or €12m in two instalments.
“On Monday the people from Chelsea are coming here; I have a great deal of respect for Florentino and I respect his word.”
Makelele is said to be unhappy with his comparatively low wages, which are reportedly only a fifth of what the club’s high-profile stars like Ronaldo, Zinedine Zidane and Raul earn.
“Claude knows he cannot earn the same as the top stars, but he feels badly treated,” continued Roger.
“He would be a star for Chelsea but he will never be one at Madrid.”
Makelele, who has won 24 caps for Les Bleus, will be desperate to seal a move to London as
quickly as possible to avoid a potential FIFA ban.
His failure to attend training since Madrid’s return from their Far East tour could land him in trouble with the world governing body if the transfer saga is not concluded before the start of the Spanish season on August 31.
The former Nantes player still has three years left on his contract at the Bernabeu after moving to Madrid from Celta Vigo in 2000.
He occupies a crucial holding role in the side, and his importance was never more apparent than when his team-mates crumbled 3-0 to Juventus in his absence in last season’s Champions League semi-final.