Dean Jarvis strikes as Derry overcome Cork in extra time

Cork City 1 Derry City 2 (after extra-time): A Dean Jarvis goal six minutes into extra-time saw Derry City come from a goal down to qualify for the EA Sports Cup semi-finals after a hard-fought victory over Cork City at Turners Cross last night.

Dean Jarvis strikes as Derry overcome Cork in extra time

It was Derry’s second victory over Cork this season following their league win at the Brandywell in March and it was just about deserved against an understrength home side.

Just as he did in the previous round, City boss John Caulfield rang the changes for this one making no less than nine changes from the side that defeated St Pat’s on Friday night, with only John Dunleavy and Kevin O’Connor starting.

The Candystripes have won this competition a record ten times — the last in 2011 when they defeated a then-first division Cork City in the final at the same venue. And manager Kenny Shiels named a strong XI, making only three changes from the side that went down to Sligo Rovers on Friday night, as he looked to maintain his club’s strong League Cup tradition.

Cork have been quick out of the blocks of late scoring early against Finn Harps and Shamrock Rovers and it only took the home side 8 minutes to find the net in this one when Conor McCormack upended Gavan Holohan 25 yards from goal.

Ian Turner touched the resultant free kick to Mark O’Sullivan, who drilled a shot under the wall and into the corner of Ger Doherty’s net to give Cork the ideal start.

The away side looked neater in possession as they gradually began to come more into the game as the half wore on. And Shiels’ side did equalise six minutes before the break when the skilful Barry McNamee neatly controlled McCormack’s pass and shot home left footed from the edge of the box.

Michael McSweeney had to be alive to cut out Keith Ward’s cross with Rory Patterson lurking shortly after the restart as Derry looked threatening when they attacked.

It was Cork’s fifth home match on the trot and the small crowd were starved of much excitement up until Danny Morrissey brought a great save out of Doherty with a dipping volley midway through the second half.

The same player went close again five minutes later when his pace took him away but his rasping shot from the edge of the box flew inches wide.

McCormack almost won it two minutes before the end of normal time but his drive went narrowly over Smith’s crossbar. Jarvis headed home what turned out to be the winner at the back post six minutes into extra-time when he finished Nathan Boyle’s super pass.


Smith; McCarthy (Bolger 98), McSweeney, Dunleavy, O’Connor; Turner (Buckley 73), Healy, Holohan (Maguire 98), Dooley; D Morrissey, O’Sullivan.


Doherty; Vemmelund, McBride, Barry, Jarvis; Ward (Daniels 116), McEneff, McNamee, McCormack, Curtis (Boyle 78); Patterson.


S Grant (Wexford).

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox

Execution Time: 0.229 s