Limerick heartbreak in relegation play-off

Finn Harps 2 Limerick 0 Finn Harps win 2-1 on agg

Limerick heartbreak in relegation play-off

Finn Harps will be playing in the Premier Division of the SSE Airtricty League next season after an absorbing promotion/relegation play-off at Finn Park in Ballybofey last night.

The hero for Harps was teenager substitute BJ Banda who headed home a Damien McNulty cross four minutes from the end of extra-time.

Limerick began the game as favourites, holding a 1-0 first-leg lead, ironically scored by Donegal man Shaun Kelly, and on a high having escaped automatic relegation on the last day of the league campaign.

For most of the season, Limerick appeared destined for the drop.

Having notched up just six points from their first 21 league games — and without a victory — their turnout has been the most startling in the history of the Premier Division.

The famous old Ballybofey venue — which has seen relatively little change over the years — was rocking from the first whistle as the biggest crowd since the promotion chasing days of 2007 flocked to the Donegal version of the Theatre of Dreams.

Limerick were the better side in the early exchanges but Harps created the first chance when defender Keith Cowan was thwarted as Freddy Hall dived at his feet inside the six-yard box.

Hall then dealt with efforts from Damien McNulty and Raymond Foy while Michael Funston flung himself forward to head narrowly wide as the First Division side enjoyed a really decent spell.

But Limerick always looked menacing in attack and Harps endured a few goalmouth scrambles, but Harps then took the lead on 37 minutes.

Limerick failed to clear and in-nipped Michael Funston and although he was forced wide following a defensive mix-up between, his shot from a narrow angle was adjudged to have crossed the line, and the goal was given.

Moments later Damien McNulty was taken down by Dean Clarke right on the edge of the box, with Harps adamant that it should have been a penalty.

Finn Harps veteran Kevin McHugh curled a free narrowly over at the start of the second half and the inventive Foy then outfoxed Kelly before unleashed a thundering shot that flashed across the face of goal and wide on the hour.

Ian Turner blasted high over the target on 71 minutes for Martin Russell’s side and Shane Duggan then had a shot saved before Shane Russell fired over from a great position with five minutes left.

Damien McNulty then headed wide at the other end in a nail-biting finish.

Extra-time saw both teams tiring but Matthew Crossan went close with a 20 yard effort narrowly in the second period.

Banda then headed in the winner to become a Harps legend.

Finn Harps:

Gallagher; McNulty, Cowan, P. Mailey, Coll; Funston, Foy, Harkin, J. Mailey; McNamee, McHugh. Subs: Crossan for Funston (96 mins), McDaid for Harkin (100 mins), Banda for McHugh (102 mins).

Limerick FC:

Hall; Kelly, Kanyuka, Williams, Treacy; Turner, O’Connor, Duggan, Clarke; Lynch; Faherty.


Russell for Kanyuka (57 mins), Mann for Clarke (110 mins).


Derek Tomney (Dublin)

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox