The Blues announced Mourinho’s new deal on the eve of the Barclays Premier League season opener with Swansea.
The Portuguese, who is in his second spell at Stamford Bridge, won the Capital One Cup and Premier League title last year. The new deal ties the self-proclaimed Special One to Chelsea until June 2019.
The 52-year-old said: “If the club is happy, I am happy. I think this is a normal thing for me to sign a new contract. It is important we have this continuity and I hope we can enjoy more success in the future — for the fans, the players, and the club.
“I said when I returned here two years ago that I have a special feeling for this club and nothing changed.
“It is the club closest to my heart and I am very happy to know I will be staying here for a long time.”
Mourinho had a highly successful first spell with Chelsea from June 2004 to September 2007, winning back-to-back Premier League titles in his first two seasons.
His third Premier League crown last term was Chelsea’s first championship since 2009/10.
Following his return to west London, the former Porto, Inter Milan, and Real Madrid boss has often spoken of his desire to stay at Chelsea for as long as owner Roman Abramovich wants him. And it appears the feeling is mutual.
Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia said: “We are very happy that Jose has committed four more years to the club. “Since his arrival two years ago he has carefully developed the playing squad and brought trophies to Stamford Bridge,” Granovskaia said.
“We look forward to the next four years and the continued success of the team.”
Mourinho made a veiled criticism of Roberto Martinez for the Everton manager’s outspoken rebuke of Chelsea for their pursuit of John Stones. Martinez was unhappy with John Terry’s comments in praise of Toffees defender Stones, whom the Premier League champions have pursued this summer and had offers rebuffed.
”I’m not speaking about Everton or Stones. I’m just speaking in general,” said Mourinho, ahead of this evening’s season opener with Swansea at Stamford Bridge. ”If I could, I would speak with you [the media] once in a month.
”And there are other people in football who, if they could, they would have a press conference every day. And I don’t want to say anything else.”
Chelsea have five first-team defenders and Mourinho is keen to recruit more, with a left-back high on the agenda. He insists he’s not preoccupied by the transfer window.
Another concern is up front. Mourinho is uncertain whether Diego Costa will be fit to begin the Blues’ title defence after his troublesome hamstring injury flared up once more, forcing the striker out of last Sunday’s Community Shield loss to Arsenal.
”I don’t know. I promise you, I don’t know,” Mourinho said. ”I think he’s going to train with the team [on Friday evening].
”His reaction after that and his decision to be confident to play is another story.”
Mourinho dismissed the suggestion Chelsea might need to buy another striker due to Costa being an ongoing fitness concern. ”Three is the perfect number and we have three,” said Mourinho, who is prepared to field Loic Remy or Radamel Falcao today.
Meanwhile Swansea boss Garry Monk admits he’s in for an “interesting” afternoon.
“Jose is tactically one of the best managers in the league,” he said. “He’s very clever in his approach, his team is so adaptable in playing different ways and brilliant to watch.
“They’ve set the standard for everyone and when I come up against Jose I know I’m in for an interesting afternoon.”