Morrissey magic finally gives City happy ending


Morrissey magic finally gives  City happy ending

If caretaker Stuart Ashton continues to bring the luck that last night brought, with Danny Morrissey getting a 94th-minute winner, they won’t mind having to sit through the other 93 though.

Having just hit the post, it appeared that it wouldn’t be Morrissey’s night, but he kept believing.

“We had most of the possession, but we couldn’t score,” he said.

“I had a header and I thought the volley was in but it hit the upright, but I knew I’d get another chance, and I was delighted that it went in.”

While the hosts had the better of the opening half, clear-cut opportunities were rare as their penetration was lacking. With Daryl Horgan suspended following his sending-off against Limerick, Shane Duggan was deployed on the left flank with John Dunleavy in the middle alongside Gearoid Morrissey. Both Duggan and Morrissey worked well creatively, but the former’s tendency to drift in meant that City did not always have sufficient width to stretch Bohs.

Most of the crosses from the left came from left-back Danny Murphy, and it was his delivery which almost led to a chance in the first five minutes, Bohs defender Luke Byrne doing well to prevent Danny Morrissey getting his head to the ball.

Roberto Lopes and Derek Pender also made important interceptions at the back for Bohs, Lopes cleverly cutting out Dan Murray’s pass over the top for Danny Morrissey in the 24th minute. Two minutes later, Anto Murphy used less fair means to stop Ian Turner getting to a ball by Dunleavy, but referee Sean Grant failed to spot the incident.

At the other end, Bohs were largely reduced to efforts from distance which were not troubling Mark McNulty in the home goal. McNulty was equal to Karl Moore’s shot after Conor Murphy played him in with a nice pass, and their best chance was off target, Dinny Corcoran heading over unmarked just before half-time.

The opening quarter-of-an-hour after the restart was all City, however. Almost immediately, Gearoid Morrissey showed great invention and energy to retain possession on the right and stood up a perfect cross for Kilduff, but goalkeeper Dean Delany did very well to seize possession at the second attempt.

On 57 minutes, McNulty’s free from deep was knocked down by Kilduff for Danny Morrissey and but for Murphy he surely would have scored. Within a minute, the striker went even closer as Turner’s Cross from the left found his head but just as it seemed that he had scored, Delany somehow got a hand to the ball to divert it around the post.

From the resultant corner, Duggan had a shot which was deflected wide, and though Pender had an effort for Bohs which McNulty saved, the general flow of play continued to be towards the Shed End that City were attacking.

The introduction of Colin Healy for Dunleavy midway through the second half provided an extra attacking incisiveness and Gearoid Morrissey pushed on in a bid to generate something, twice going close in quick succession around the 75-minute mark.

His namesake was again somehow denied by Delany and Turner had a curling shot which was very close, but as the end neared the feeling grew that it would be a night of frustration.

When Danny Morrissey volleyed against the post in injury time, it seemed to remove any doubt, but there was still time and he eventually got his reward, heading Murphy’s delivery beyond Delany at the death.

CORK CITY: McNulty; N Horgan, Buckley, D Murray, D Murphy; Turner, Dunleavy (Healy 68), G Morrissey, Duggan; Kilduff (Kenny 81), D Morrissey.

BOHEMIANS: Delany; Pender (D Byrne 81), Lopes, A Murphy, L Byrne; Murray (Devaney 50), Mulcahy, McEvoy, Moore; Corcoran (Barker 83), C Murphy.

Referee: S Grant (Wexford).

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox