Larissa want compo for Coleman

GREEK club Larissa have announced their intention to take legal action against the Football Association of Wales over the appointment of Chris Coleman as Wales manager.

Coleman was unveiled as the successor to his former Wales team-mate Gary Speed at a press conference in Cardiff yesterday afternoon, having left his role with Larissa last week, citing the Greek club’s financial problems as the reason for his departure.

But within hours of the FAW confirming Coleman’s appointment, with the 41-year-old being handed a contract through to the end of Wales’ World Cup qualifying campaign, Larissa posted a statement on their website stating that the former Fulham manager remained under contract with them.

A Larissa spokesman said: “We have started legal proceedings...to claim compensation from the Welsh FA.

“We are also prepared to take the matter to FIFA.”

But it is understood the FAW are confident that they and Coleman have been thorough and correct in all matters relating to his appointment, with Larissa’s failure to pay Coleman and members of his staff due to their financial problems meaning they were in breach of his contract.

Coleman has previously said the club had not paid him and during his unveiling he claimed: “I left Larissa two points off the top of the league. I left them because financially they are in big trouble. Some of the staff had not been paid for six months, eight months, up to a year.”

Coleman had taken charge of Larissa in May last year, and they were enjoying a successful season under his guidance.

More in this section

Sport

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily sports bulletin, delivered straight to your inbox at 5pm. Subscribers also receive an exclusive email from our sports desk editors every Friday evening looking forward to the weekend's sporting action.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited