Barcelona were prepared to pay €40 million in 2010, but Rosell said that if the club goes ahead with a new bid this summer, Arsenal can expect a lower offer.
“If last summer we offered €40m for Cesc, and since then there has been wear and tear, now he’s worth less,” Rosell said. “In the case that we were interested, our offer would be reasonable. We would not go overboard.”
Fabregas said Wednesday that he has left any decision on his future to Arsenal, admitting his frustration after another trophyless season.
The 24-year-old said: “Barcelona are the best team in the world and going there guarantees titles. Any player who says he is not frustrated at not winning titles is lying. I am ambitious. But I owe myself to Arsenal. I have not spoken to the manager — he is the boss, he takes decisions and I don’t know if they want to sell me or not.”
Rosell also accused Real Madrid and their coach Jose Mourinho of going too far last season with their “totally unfounded accusations” against the Catalan giants.
“We feel that this season Real Madrid have gone beyond all the limits of necessary sporting rivalry, directing accusations towards our club, without any type of foundation.”
Madrid boss Mourinho caused a huge controversy with his post-match comments following the Champions League semi-final first leg at the Bernabeu when he implied Barca receive favourable treatment from referees and they had yet to win a “clean” Champions League title under coach Pep Guardiola.
Rosell, whose club won the semi-final 3-1 on aggregate and went on to beat Manchester United in the final, said: “Comments by the protagonists have always served to enrich footballing debate.
“But this season a Real Madrid employee, their coach, went beyond all the limits of necessary sporting rivalry.
“He even went as far as to say that our coach should feel ashamed of some of our victories. The press conference given by the Real Madrid coach after the first leg of the Champions League semi-finals at the Bernabeu would certainly have made any sportsperson feel ashamed.
“He accused our club of having won titles thanks to some kind of national and international conspiracy, implicating in this conspiracy the good name of Unicef and the football authorities.
“We obviously defended ourselves, by presenting a formal complaint to UEFA, who finally decided to sanction him.”
Rosell added: “The rivalry will continue next season, but we cannot allow the limits of fair play to be passed again.”
Meanwhile, Samuel Eto’o is considering a move from Inter Milan to the Premier League.
“The Premier League is an idea I’ve been thinking about for some time,” Eto’o said. “The question is deciding on the right club.”
* FORMER Cork City winger Leon McSweeney has signed a two-year contract with League One side Leyton Orient.