Pearce fumes over Bentley’s withdrawal

STUART PEARCE feels he has been let down by David Bentley after the midfielder’s surprise withdrawal from England squad for the European Under-21 Championships.

The Blackburn starlet has left manager Pearce a man short for the tournament in Holland after pulling out due to “fatigue”.

“I don’t agree with it. I told him last night I don’t agree with it in any way, shape or form,” Pearce said.

“I feel as though I’ve been supportive to him. He wasn’t in the under-21 side for whatever reason when I took over the job.

“I put him in, I thought he was arguably one of our best players in the two matches we had him.

“With that in mind, I rang Steve McClaren and said ‘what I’ve got to report is I think this kid’s doing quite well. Keep an eye on him’.”

Bentley was fit enough to be named in Pearce’s 23-man squad last week while he was away with the seniors, although he did not feature against Brazil or Estonia.

The 22-year-old midfielder, who is not eligible for the next under-21 qualifying campaign, played more than 50 games for Blackburn this season before featuring in a ‘B’ international against Albania.

Pearce said: “I had an inkling on Wednesday when Blackburn boss Mark Hughes talked to me and mentioned that he’d like to pull the boy out. I said no.

“I spoke with David last night. He said to me on the back of a long season, and possible burn-out next season, that he’d like to pull himself out of the tournament.”

In his playing days, Pearce earned a reputation for being one of England’s most fiercely loyal servants, earning 78 caps in 12-year international career.

He believes wearing the Three Lions does not matter as much to players nowadays.

“It means everything to play to play for England – when it suits,” he said.

“For me, representing your country is not about what suits you, it’s about what suits your country, whether it be on the sporting field, whether it be in the armed forces.

“When your country comes calling, you put them first and yourself second.”

He added: “I come from a couple of generations away from David’s age. I did try to explain the situation: ‘Where does that leave you next summer if you get in the full squad and have a full season? Do you say I’m going to be fatigued for the next season?"

More in this section

Sport

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily sports bulletin, delivered straight to your inbox at 5pm. Subscribers also receive an exclusive email from our sports desk editors every Friday evening looking forward to the weekend's sporting action.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited