League of Ireland lift as early season crowds up

THE overall attendance for the eircom League of Ireland is set to exceed 100,000 this weekend, representing a 37% increase on the corresponding number last season.

Figures released by the FAI yesterday show the total attendance at the end of week six of the new season standing at 97,656, which is more than 30,000 up on the figure of 65,828 at the same stage in 2006.

League of Ireland director Fran Gavin attributed the increase to a combination of an intensive marketing campaign and the work being done by the 15 Club Promotions Officers now in place around the country.

The highest average attendance so far this season was 20,882 for the opening round of games, and the FAI’s National Club Promotions Officer, Noel Mooney, has reiterated that the FAI’s goal, over the next four to five years, is to increase that figure to 30,000.

Pointing to on-going stadium improvements which he feels are contributing to the rise in attendances, Fran Gavin said that with the opening of the new Shed Stand, Cork City’s Turner’s Cross is “the top ground in the country in terms of facilities.”

While acknowledging that some clubs are still experiencing problems in complying with licensing requirements and could yet face sanctions, Fran Gavin said that none is in imminent danger of being either deducted points or expelled from the league.

Meanwhile, the FAI are backing a case which Cork City are taking to the independent Court Of Arbitration For Sport in Lausanne, Switzerland, in relation to FIFA’s decision to block Gareth Farrelly and Colin Healy from playing for the club until July.

The appeal will be lodged on Friday although a hearing is unlikely until the end of May. In the meantime, City have made a separate submission to FIFA setting out grounds on which football’s governing body might review their earlier decision.

In a statement, Cork City said: “The club is committed to doing everything in its power to see justice prevail in relation to the two players concerned. The club has spoken to, and taken advice from people within the football world and the legal world, and also from the political scene.

“Cork City FC reiterates the unfairness of the situation, both for the players, as well as for the club, and sincerely hope that justice and sense will prevail.”

Fran Gavin confirmed that the FAI are making a submission to FIFA in which, citing the fact that league football is played throughout the summer in Ireland, they will seek an amendment to Article 5.3 of the Regulations For The Status and Transfer of Players — which forbids a player from playing for three clubs in one season.

More in this section

Sport

Newsletter

Sign up to our daily sports bulletin, delivered straight to your inbox at 5pm. Subscribers also receive an exclusive email from our sports desk editors every Friday evening looking forward to the weekend's sporting action.

Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Brand Safety FAQ Help Contact Us Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited