Worcester lift Premiership Rugby Cup on tries scored after extra-time deadlock

Worcester lift Premiership Rugby Cup on tries scored after extra-time deadlock

Worcester Warriors lift the trophy as they celebrate winning the Premiership Rugby Cup final at the Brentford Community Stadium. Photo credit: David Davies/PA Wire.

London Irish could not celebrate teenagers Henry Arundell and Will Joseph gaining England call-ups with silverware as Worcester lifted the Premiership Rugby Cup in dramatic fashion.

The final finished 25-25 after extra-time, but Worcester won their first top-flight trophy after outscoring their opponents 3-1 on tries at Brentford Community Stadium.

Just hours after England boss Eddie Jones named them in a 36-man training squad, Arundell and Joseph targeted more success.

But Irish fly-half Paddy Jackson, who kicked 20 points from six penalties and a conversion, missed four penalties during 20 minutes of extra-time.

Jackson converted scrum-half Ben White's try, yet Worcester replied with touchdowns for flanker Matt Kvesic and wing Perry Humphreys, before Kyle Hatherell's try five minutes into stoppage time, converted by Fin Smith, tied things up.

Smith earlier kicked two penalties and a conversion, and Irish were the team that ultimately cracked during two scoreless additional periods.

Jackson and Smith exchanged early penalties before Worcester struck with the game's opening try after 12 minutes.

Irish looked to have thwarted any danger, but Kvesic emerged with the ball from a ruck and sprinted 20 metres unopposed to touch down, with Smith's conversion opening up a seven-point lead.

Smith's second successful penalty completed an impressive opening quarter from the Warriors, and Irish were in need of a response.

The Exiles duly delivered, as a second Jackson penalty was followed by a flowing attack receiving the finish it deserved when White darted clear following impressive work by wing Lucio Cinti.

Jackson's conversion tied the final seven minutes before half-time, before he completed his penalty hat-trick to edge Irish ahead.

But Worcester refused to be subdued, and they scored a second try with the final move of an entertaining first half as Humphreys crossed, making it 18-16 at the interval.

The Warriors thought they had moved further ahead just three minutes after the restart when skipper Ted Hill broke clear from 60 metres out and crossed Irish's line, but it was disallowed following a knock-on by Worcester centre Francois Venter.

Jackson rubbed salt into Worcester's wounds by booting another penalty, and he then repeated the feat 10 minutes later, leaving Warriors four points adrift.

Worcester's poor discipline - they were marched back 10 metres for dissent on four separate occasions by referee Wayne Barnes - gave Jackson another penalty chance, and he duly accepted it.

Worcester threw everything at Irish during the closing minutes that required some frantic defence, and Hatherell's score - converted by Smith - meant an extra 20 minutes.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox