Glasgow edge Scottish derby

Glasgow 17 Edinburgh 12

Glasgow 17 Edinburgh 12

Moray Low took full advantage of Matt Scott’s late yellow card to force the only try of a scrappy encounter with Edinburgh as Glasgow continued their challenge in the upper reaches of the RaboDirect Pro12.

The teams were locked on nine points each until Scott threw Robert Harley to the ground in the 68th minute and Low soon emerged with the ball after a lineout to cross over the line.

The victory also ensured Glasgow retained the 1872 Cup with an aggregate victory over their rivals during the festive period.

The teams had drawn 23-23 at Murrayfield on Boxing Day, sharing three tries apiece, but the record sell-out crowd of 8,852 at Firhill were not treated to a similar free-flowing contest.

There were too many errors on both sides and the game appeared to be heading towards a kicking stalemate until Scott went to the sin bin.

However, the majority of the crowd went home happy as Glasgow did just enough to seal their sixth consecutive home win.

Both sides made numerous changes with only Kyle Traynor and Netani Talei retaining their places for Edinburgh, although they were able to recall Scotland caps such as Simon Webster and Phil Godman. Glasgow made seven alterations with Rory Lamont and Ryan Grant dropping out through injury.

Glasgow twice clawed back 10-point deficits on Boxing Day but they took an early lead when Duncan Weir kicked a penalty.

Low was penalised for an infringement spotted by the touch judge to give Edinburgh the chance to level but Godman was off target.

Chris Cusiter set up a Glasgow break but Colin Shaw lacked conviction and Weir then missed a long-range penalty.

Weir’s kicks from open play kept Edinburgh under pressure and he doubled their lead after Edinburgh were penalised for offside.

The home side survived a period of pressure inside their own 22 when Godman’s attempted chip was charged down but the penalty had already been awarded for offside and the stand-off got Edinburgh off the mark from close range.

Weir soon restored the six-point difference with a penalty from around 30 metres out but his spillage almost allowed Edinburgh in at the other end, Scott just too far away from the loose ball to capitalise.

Edinburgh made a change five minutes before the break with Alan Walker on for Andrew Kelly and Godman failed with a penalty from near the left touchline on the 10-metre line after Weir had been penalised for holding.

Godman reduced the arrears when he kicked a difficult penalty in the second minute after the restart to make it 9-6, and then just before the hour he was on target again to level the scores .

Glasgow made a series of changes with John Barclay among the introductions and they finally began to exert some second-half pressure.

But it was not until Scott was sent to the sin bin for a dangerous tackle on Harley that they looked like breaking their opponents down.

Low crossed in the following minute after a scrum with the try awarded after confirmation from the video judge.

Scott Wight, on for Weir, missed the conversion but he soon kicked a penalty and Edinburgh, with Mike Blair going off injured, looked like they had no way back.

Lee Jones appeared to have reduced the deficit though as he took Godman’s crossfield kick and crossed at the corner flag in the 75th minute. However, Shaw made a crucial tackle and the TMO ruled the Edinburgh winger had been forced over the touchline beforehand.

Godman did secure a bonus point for the visitors with a drop goal in the last seconds.

More in this section


Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers

Sign up

Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox

Execution Time: 0.193 s